• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Levels within a black belt degree/dan???

I was checking out a school recently and while talking with the instructor he said that they had levels within each black belt rank. For example, one student was a 1st dan black belt, level 3 (he had an "L3" on his belt). I had never heard of this before. Has anyone else heard of this? What is the justification for levels within a single BB rank? It seems to me like just another way to make more money.

What are ya'll's thoughts?

Ed

Ed

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hm, honestly I've never heard of that before. I know that some schools do have them but they aren't placing the notations on the belt. For example some Shotokan schools will have the black belt student go through courses and it's mostly academic.

Do you see any other warning signs of money-grubbing?

The best victory is when the opponent surrenders

of its own accord before there are any actual

hostilities...It is best to win without fighting.

- Sun-tzu

Well, with the lower colored belts I know they usually add stripes as they approach their next belt. For example, a white belt with three stripes on the tip usually indicate he's almost ready to test for his next belt, while a yellow belt with one stripe has just started to master the skills needed for his rank. Maybe this is the case with your black belt, although this system is usually only used with the young kids, and in our dojo, it's just strips of electrical tape around the belt. You should ask the instructor about it.

There's no place like 127.0.0.1

I've seen it (or something similar) for jr black belts. It was more a way to keep young children focused on forward progress. It was at a school I visited once. I didn't really inquire about it too much though. So I don't have alot of specifics.

"It is impossible to make anything foolproof because fools are so ingenius."

For most black belt ranks, you remain in rank for years. The instructor may have certain knowledge and/or skill requirements that have to be met in each of the dan ranks. So, these levels could indicate basically how much time they have in rank, or what requirements they have met thus far.

I would ask him, and find out for sure.

Our system has Novice, Intermediate, and Advanced ranks for for each Dan level. Testing is done every 6 months until 3rd Dan, then every 12 months.

New curriculum is added at each level so there is always something to learn and work on.

8)

"A Black Belt is only the beginning."

Heidi-A student of the arts

Tae Kwon Do,Shotokan,Ju Jitsu,Modern Arnis

http://the100info.tumblr.com/

Do you see any other warning signs of money-grubbing?

Well, it did seem a bit like a McDojo (I am not equating having BB levels with McDojos, it is just that this is the first place at whcih I had seen such a thing). I can see how it would be useful in keeping students motivated, or how it could be used as an indicator so that an instructor could, with one look at the belt, get an idea of just what that student should or shouldn't know (particularly useful in a national organization with schools all over the country where students may earn a BB in one school, move, and join another school but still be in the same national organization).

ninjanurse, what you describe is very similar to what this instructor was describing to me. How long has your MA organization used BB levels?

Thanks for the replies,

Ed

Ed

I've never heard of this. As far as I know, when you make each Dan level that's it. There are no separate levels within each Dan. You either are or you are not. Even getting ready for testing, you are still that Dan rank.

There is no martial arts without philosophy.

My first dojang had maintenance tests every 6 months for BB's. But I don't think it cost anything (except for the actual test for 1st, 2nd, 3rd, ect dan levels). It was mainly a physical fitness test, I think. I could be wrong, though. I only made it to 5th gup there.

Laurie F

I have only been with this organization for 5-6 years so I can't tell you how long it has been this way. My old school had a similar "maintainence program" with informal testing every 6 months. I don't think it is a sign of a McDojo unless of course you are paying hundreds of dollars each time, etc. I think it keeps the pressure on and boredom away for those still needing external motivation.

8)

"A Black Belt is only the beginning."

Heidi-A student of the arts

Tae Kwon Do,Shotokan,Ju Jitsu,Modern Arnis

http://the100info.tumblr.com/