• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

In Pinan 3...

future_black_belt

You may do it differently, but that is how we doour kiba dachi, with both toes pointed foward. This stance is in our katas. I know because I practice it, and I do kiba dachi in some of my katas. Yes, bushido_man96, you are right.

You are right to do Kiba dachi with your feet pointed forward but Kiba Dachi does not feature in Wado Katas (not just my group but Wado as a whole). Why?, because it is too rigid, lacks flexibility.

You can move through Shiko Dachi a whole lot smoother.

But if your group does Kiba Dachi then fine (just isn't Wado).

"A lot of people never use their initiative.... because no-one told them to" - Banksy

https://www.banksy.co.uk

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You have a point there, Wa-No-Michi about the shiko dachi. It doesn't put too mch pressure on the knees since the feet are at an angle, and the fact it may be smoother. I have not learned that stance in any of my kata's (yet), but kiba dachi, shiko dachi, however you do it, it is fine. Because if you apply a bunkai to the particular move with either stance (the middle part near the end in Pinan Sandan, for example), I would imagine a 45 degree angle of the feet would not make too much of a difference for it to be concerned. But I may be wrong on that part.

All thoughts have consequences.

Well yes and no, depending on how you look at it.... Katas in Wado are primarilly about learning how to move.... transition between techniques as it were.

Traditionally of course, Wado does not employ the process of "bunkai" in the same way as the Okinawan arts do.

Wado katas are there for a different purpose IMO.

But you need to speak to your instructor about this.

Do you practice Ippone / Sanbon, Ohyo, Kumite Gata, Kihon Kumite in your group?

Perhaps you should look toward these for some of the answers... In terms of application in its raw sense. :)

WNM

"A lot of people never use their initiative.... because no-one told them to" - Banksy

Ok, I'll ask next time I'm in the dojo. Wasn't aware about this, but I know a key aspect of Wado-Ryu is the concept of tai sabaki. We practice Ippon kumite, Ohyo kumite, and Jiyu kumite. Another Senpai and I of the dojo went to a karate camp and learned some Kihon kumite drills, but have not yet taught it to anyone in the classes.

All thoughts have consequences.

Cool, practice them with your friend.

I would also look toward your sensei in terms of explanation of these matters. If he can't explain, then maybe he hasn't fully understood.

That isn't necessarily a bad thing, I don't pretend to know a fraction of my sensei's understanding, but I think all knowledge is transient in this respect. You "realise" these things by yourself as you go along.

That's the great thing about Karate... it is by its nature - continually evolving.

Edited by Wa-No-Michi

You may do it differently, but that is how we doour kiba dachi, with both toes pointed foward. This stance is in our katas. I know because I practice it, and I do kiba dachi in some of my katas. Yes, bushido_man96, you are right.

You are right to do Kiba dachi with your feet pointed forward but Kiba Dachi does not feature in Wado Katas (not just my group but Wado as a whole). Why?, because it is too rigid, lacks flexibility.

You can move through Shiko Dachi a whole lot smoother.

But if your group does Kiba Dachi then fine (just isn't Wado).

hmm...

Kiba dachi is used by several old wado masters. It is just that the current masters use naihanchi dachi to show the different between the wado naihanchi dachi and the "shotokan" kiba dachi. However, if you do wado and call it kiba dachi but stand as in naihanchi dachi....

As for kiba or naihanchi dachi in wado, some teachers do feet pointing straight, other do it little inward.

Personally my ankles are quite stiff so I use straight forward as this feels inward already. Also, Mr. Motobu states in his book that the feet should be straight forward. This is easier to move.

If you turn to a diagonal the groin is protected.

Not in Pinan Sandan??

Kiba Dachi as i understand it, means horse riding stance. So it is highly likely that some senseis are going to refer to any straddle stance as Kiba Dachi - including Shiko and Naihanchi dachi.

But I see Naihanchi Dachi as a little different to Kiba Dachi.

I see it as an inner circular stance (similar to Seishan dachi but with feet in line). Unlike Kiba-Dachi the knees are more inside of the line of the toes. More like the arched doors of a church.

Not in Pinan Sandan??

Kiba Dachi as i understand it, means horse riding stance. So it is highly likely that some senseis are going to refer to any straddle stance as Kiba Dachi - including Shiko and Naihanchi dachi.

But I see Naihanchi Dachi as a little different to Kiba Dachi.

I see it as an inner circular stance (similar to Seishan dachi but with feet in line). Unlike Kiba-Dachi the knees are more inside of the line of the toes. More like the arched doors of a church.

i just meant the stances, not particularly sandan. I didn't read any above posts...

If they talk about the last 2 moves in sandan, for wadoryu it is shizentai but shoulderwidth unstead of hipwidth.