• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

In Pinan 3...

future_black_belt

That's correct as far as I know.

Anko Itosu developed the Pinans to introduce Karate to the Okinawan Public school system as the Naihanchi katas were deemed too difficult for the beginners.

Pinan Sandan begins in Shorin-Ryu (matsubayashi) with a Right hand chest block in Cat stance.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 year later...
Can someone tell me some of the stances used? We were doing stances last night and I kept slipping in and out of forward stance and back stance. I just want to know some that are used.
In Pinan Yodan (some schools teach this as the third Pinan), the stances used are: zenkutsu dachi, long neiko ashi dachi, short neiko ashi dachi, and one other stance I don't know the name of in the middle of the kata.

In Pinan Sandan (some schools teach this as the third Pinan as well), the stances used are: short neiko ashi dachi, zenkustu dachi, kiba dachi, and hachiji dachi (natural stance). Least, this is how it is in the Wado-Ryu system.

All thoughts have consequences.

Can someone tell me some of the stances used? We were doing stances last night and I kept slipping in and out of forward stance and back stance. I just want to know some that are used.
In Pinan Yodan (some schools teach this as the third Pinan), the stances used are: zenkutsu dachi, long neiko ashi dachi, short neiko ashi dachi, and one other stance I don't know the name of in the middle of the kata.

In Pinan Sandan (some schools teach this as the third Pinan as well), the stances used are: short neiko ashi dachi, zenkustu dachi, kiba dachi, and hachiji dachi (natural stance). Least, this is how it is in the Wado-Ryu system.

There is no Kiba-Dachi in any Wado katas.

"A lot of people never use their initiative.... because no-one told them to" - Banksy

https://www.banksy.co.uk

The stance(s) in the middle are "gyakuzuki no tsuk-komi" (with the tenohira-uke) and "gyaku-nekoashi" with the tate uraken.

"A lot of people never use their initiative.... because no-one told them to" - Banksy

There is no Kiba-Dachi in any Wado katas.

Yes, there is. There are several katas that has this stance in it. Maybe it is different in your organization/school or wherever you go, but for my school, we are taught kiba dachi in several of our katas.

yes there is. There are several katas that has this stance in it. Maybe it is different in your organization/school or wherever you go, but for my school, we are taught kiba dachi in several of our katas.

Kiba dachi is a straddle stance where the toes of both feet point forward.

This stance does not appear in Wado Katas. Instead we use "Shiko-dachi" (sometime called Shimata-dachi) which is a straddle stance where the feet are turned outward.

Kiba dachi is horse stance, right? And zenkutsu dachi is front stance, correct?

Kiba dachi = Horse Riding Stance (Straddle stance etc), but with toes pointing forward.

Zenkutsu dachi = front stance - (Zen = all and Kutsu = foot/shoe)

yes there is. There are several katas that has this stance in it. Maybe it is different in your organization/school or wherever you go, but for my school, we are taught kiba dachi in several of our katas.

Kiba dachi is a straddle stance where the toes of both feet point forward.

This stance does not appear in Wado Katas. Instead we use "Shiko-dachi" (sometime called Shimata-dachi) which is a straddle stance where the feet are turned outward.

You may do it differently, but that is how we do our kiba dachi, with both toes pointed foward. This stance is in our katas. I know because I practice it, and I do kiba dachi in some of my katas. Yes, bushido_man96, you are right.