• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I need help.

DiscoInferno

I have studied karate for around about 9 years and have reached brown belt level(my sensei didn't like to grade us very often). I took the decision about 3 years ago to concentrate more on my life and never went back to train at all. Now i have the problem of loving karate, actually being quite good at it but can't find the confidence to go back. I practace my Kata quite often and apart from fitness and probrably being alittle rusty with sparring there shouldn't be much holding me back but the proverbial anchor is firmly in the ground. I would like to know if anyone else has given up for a long period and found it hard to go back to training and if so how did you build the confidence to do it.

Student Of Shotokai Karate.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I switched styles when I went back, so I suppose it's different, but still....People have lives. We have a student who took ten years off training for life. Personally, I would go back to your instructor during a time you know isn't busy, or call him, or e-mail him (or her), and let them know you want to come back, but feel a little awkward about it. They'll be able to help you much more, I think.

He who gains a victory over other men is strong; but he who gains a victory over himself is all powerful Lao-tsu

I took two years off and felt just like you did. I got bullied into going by my boyfriend and I thank him for it now (at the time I could have cursed him!)

I went to a new club in the same organisation and just explained my situation. The sensei put me in with the red belts at first and then as my fitness improved along with my memory and technique he moved me up - it only took a few weeks to get back to my 1st kyu grade. Getting karate fit was the hardest and it's something that i'm still getting to grips with (i've been back a year).

You'll regret not giving it a go and you'll have nothing to lose by going back. I found the wanting to go back a lot more agonising than actually getting back into it! Good luck!

I took two years off of my tai chi classes then came back. I thought it would be awkward, and I'd be lying if I said it wasn't a little at first. Some of the people I'd trained with were gone and others had just started that had caught up to me, but by the end of the first few classes I was back into the swing of things. Talk to your sensei and see what he has to say. If you left on a positive footing there shouldn't be any problem at all.

There's no place like 127.0.0.1

As a green belt, I had a string of injuries, then had my first child. All of that kept me out for 5 years. As soon as I was healthy and had a little time, I went back. It took almost a year to feel like I was back to the right skill level, but I never regretted it. Another few years and I took my Black Belt test. Now I have 2 jobs, 3 kids, and a bird so I go when I can. I always feel rusty after taking off for a few months at a time but I think that's normal. I don't think I will ever stop permanently.

Paranoia is not a fault. It is clarity of the world around us.

I have studied karate for around about 9 years and have reached brown belt level(my sensei didn't like to grade us very often). I took the decision about 3 years ago to concentrate more on my life and never went back to train at all. Now i have the problem of loving karate, actually being quite good at it but can't find the confidence to go back. I practace my Kata quite often and apart from fitness and probrably being alittle rusty with sparring there shouldn't be much holding me back but the proverbial anchor is firmly in the ground. I would like to know if anyone else has given up for a long period and found it hard to go back to training and if so how did you build the confidence to do it.

I started back 18 months ago after an absence of 14 years.I was 14 stone 7 pounds.Ive now gone down to 11 stone 3 pounds.I have never felt so fit in years.I restarted with the same colour belt all those years ago ( purple ) my instructor wouldnt let me restart with the white belt,It made me work harder. I go for my brown belt next month july 2007..by the way I am only 5`5" and look middle thirties so everyone tells me..but actually I am a father of 6 and a grandad of 4 my age is 49 years.SO YES GO FOR IT YOU WILL GET FITTER AND YOUNGER LOOKING(WHEN YOU LOSE THE WEIGHT) SEE YOUR NEVER TO OLD..GOODLUCK...ART :D

Definitely go back to your instructor. I bet he/she will understand and just be glad to have you back. Good luck and keep us posted on your decision.

A great martial artist is one who is humble and respectful of others.

You say that you love karate. Let love win and go back to it and grow with it. :)

P.S. I have done a lot of reading on Shotokai. It's approach is quiet different from other styles of karate, regarding the concept of "power within softness". If you continue to practice this style, I believe you will be well rewarded for your effort. :karate:

Fighting arts that were not effective for fighting and selfdefense, never lasted long enough in martial arts history, to gain the Traditional Martial Arts - TMA - status.