• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Fighting someone who has no control

After a time, he began to loose control and was able to throw hard, on target attacks at me.

Um, maybe this is way off, but maybe he's breaking the rules. At my school, we usually do touch/point sparring with no hard contact allowed. Higher ranks can do contact sparring but it has to be agreed up front. Some people fight hard without even realizing it (no control) and others (rebels) knowingly break rules and don't care. I'm not saying your partner did this, but if you don't know, then you should find out. If I was touch-sparring (or semi-contact) and my partner hit me too hard, I would call "contact" and tell him it was harder than it should be.

If he did not stop, there are 3 choices:

1. bow and say you are stopping the match if he will not follow the rules.

2. mention it to an instructor and let him clarify the rules to the partner before continuing.

3. fight as hard as he does (not recommended)

No matter what the situation is, you have the right to know why he sparred the way he did, even if none of this happened. As others have said, there may be a constructive reason behind it so don't be offended by it until you know that reason. But you are also expected to follow the rules too. How can you do that if you do not know which set of rules is being used at the time? I have even asked questions while sparring. After being hit hard, I ask "are we doing touch-sparring?" while still circling/guarding. Then you can adjust your techniques or ask him to adjust without loosing time. Just a thought, but I hope I'm wrong.

Paranoia is not a fault. It is clarity of the world around us.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is a problem that I have, but as I get tired, my control and technique start slipping. It's something I've noticed and been working on for a while. Maybe he was just wearing out. That or like other people said, he's trying to push you. He might not even know he's doing it. Maybe just a comment like "could you lighten your hits a little" would do the trick.

There's no place like 127.0.0.1

there is also the option that if he is hurting you, you could ask him to not punch/kick so hard. As a higher belt level, he should have more power/control on his techniques and may not realize he is throwing them too hard for the situation ao asking him respectfully to not throw as hard would be what I would do.

Tha's for the ideas. I have a couple things that have not been totally answered but thanks for the ideas. And, just to correct you, we are the same rank. My main concern besides how to fight him is my own temper. When someone is coming at me like that, without control and with the intent to hurt, I find it hard to keep control of myself. I could, I suppose, let myself go at him like I'm fighting for my life, but I don't want this to turn into something like a street brawl but other than that I'm not sure I could beat him in a fight if he's being that rough.

External training without the training of the mind is nothing

It doesn't sound like this fellow is a beginner and should have better control than what you experienced. For someone at this guy's level we have a rule in our dojang, hit someone hard without control and expect to get hit back just as hard (or harder). Also, the side stepping suggestion is good, sound advice (and is something that I definitely need to work on).

Ed

Ed

Your instructor should have stopped this match when he saw the frustration in your opponent! If your instructor failed to do this, you should call for a break, and ask your partner why he is escalating force. I have a rule in my dojo "Hurt them out there not us in here". It is important to address this type of thing quickly befor someone gets hurt.

"Not every tiger will pounce, but every tiger may!"

K.Mabon

United States Combat Martial Arts Association International

If someone in the street does this and 99.9% of the time they will come without control, all you have is footwork. All i would do is deflect (using proper footwork) hit him, then go for arm-bar, break, or take down(Praying Mantis philosophy..Deflect, empty, take down) . If they have no control they have no balance and they will over extend their arm and that is an arm-bar/break/throw just waiting to happen.

Sorry about this but why should it make a difference whether or not he comes in at you hard or not or whether or not he is "controlled" as you put it? Either way, it is your job to deal with it. If he is uncontrolled, then shouldn't he be easier to beat or force into overcommiting?

traditional chinese saying:

speak much, wrong much

Sorry about this but why should it make a difference whether or not he comes in at you hard or not or whether or not he is "controlled" as you put it? Either way, it is your job to deal with it. If he is uncontrolled, then shouldn't he be easier to beat or force into overcommiting?

I can see the point that you are making here. However, when training under specified ideals and rules (be they right or wrong), when someone steps "out of bounds," so to speak, many of us want to deal with it without calling it to the attention of others, like instructors.