• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Fighting someone who has no control

I wasn't sure what subforum to put this in so my appologies if you feel it should be else where.

Anyways, tonight at the dojo we worked on sparring for the upper belts. I was fighting a blue belt who is a semi good sparrer. After a time, he began to loose control and was able to throw hard, on target attacks at me. I stopped some of course but not all. I returned his attacks but didn't hurt him like he was trying to hurt be - I'm not as strong and when he lost control he was suddenly a really good fighter. Does anyone have tips for how to fight him? I know he needs to learn control but I thought that in the street someone might attack me like that. Any ideas? Thanks.

External training without the training of the mind is nothing

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In the street, someone WOULD attack you like that, if your getting mugged they wouldn't hold anything back and try to control themselves, as for sparring, if he needs to learn control, and is throwing really hard punches, try getting him on speed, throw a few punches for every one he throws. Try sidestepping when he throws a punch and getting him in the ribs.

I don't know how things work at your dojo but is it possible he started off easy then escalated when he saw you were dealing with him without too many problems? If that is the case I don't know that I would call that losing control, more lifting intensity appropriate to your skill.

Battling biomechanical dyslexia since 2007

I am no expert but when I am confronted with a less skilled but stronger fighter who is very aggressive I will try and avoid them for a few minutes until they tire. Then I go for their body to wear them out even more.

Anyone with more experience have any tips. I need them too.

I don't know how things work at your dojo but is it possible he started off easy then escalated when he saw you were dealing with him without too many problems? If that is the case I don't know that I would call that losing control, more lifting intensity appropriate to your skill.
No, not the way he was fighting. It wasn't just high intesity, it was that I was beating him and I guess he got frustrated and angry. His attacks weren't just hard and fast but meant to hurt. Like the ones that hit me had no control behind them at all. I fight the new Sensei sometimes and his attacks are just as hard and fast(er) but they are controlled. His definatly weren't.

External training without the training of the mind is nothing

My sister goes in for the kill when she gets angry, which is pretty much all the time when she spars me. I recommend don't even try to block (unless you have to save your ribs from being cracked) and to just keep moving outta the way. Eventually they just run outta steam and/or ideas and it should be easy to pick them off with counters. I don't know if you get the opportunity or not, but its worthwhile watching them spar someone else and studying which side, what techniques etc. that they favour. When someone loses it they probably wont be trying out anything new, just trying to pummel you with what they already have. Good Luck though!

"Everything has its beauty, but not everyone sees it." ~ Confucius

I wasn't sure what subforum to put this in so my appologies if you feel it should be else where.

Anyways, tonight at the dojo we worked on sparring for the upper belts. I was fighting a blue belt who is a semi good sparrer. After a time, he began to loose control and was able to throw hard, on target attacks at me. I stopped some of course but not all. I returned his attacks but didn't hurt him like he was trying to hurt be - I'm not as strong and when he lost control he was suddenly a really good fighter. Does anyone have tips for how to fight him? I know he needs to learn control but I thought that in the street someone might attack me like that. Any ideas? Thanks.

I do something similar. I call it an induced adrenaline rush. I don't think he really lost control I think he just started kicking it up and it looked like he lost control. And because he is enducing somewhat of an adrenaline rush in himself, he doesn't feel your strikes as well or can more easily absorb them.

But I don't think you should ask what to do against someone in the street because in the street nothing is definate. You may fight this guy out there and one thing would work on him and then someone very similar as a fighter and the same technique would get you countered and killed.

Just an opinion, but if you are trying to work on sparring (and I assume this was the aim of the exercise) then when you see him starting to loose it, just stop and ask him to improve his control - it is also part of the sparring exercise.

But...

If you are looking for technique to counter a loss of control in an opponent then I agree with samoht's post - stay out of reach and counter when they overextend themselves - that's when they will not be able to recover quickly.

Phil Smith

3rd Dan Instructor

USKO Wado-Ryu

United Kingdom

You may just have to step your contact level up more and let him have it back. Other suggestions here are good as well, letting him tire out. Stick your kicks really hard, and try to jar him. See how that goes.