• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Any of you ever compete even though...

you didnt really think you were very "good"... even for your belt level?

The other night my Sensei tried to for the first time gauge as to whether or not I would have any interest in "competition"... not that he was saying anything like "your good, you *should* compete!" he seemed to be merely finding out if I had the interest or not (which I really dont).

My initial thought was "eh? me?" Because the thought had really never entered my mind. I am the type of person that I am so competitive (though still not overly athletic) that I am not competitive... if that makes any sense? In other words... if I do not at least think very highly that I very well could win.... I'd rather not even try :P

Dont get me wrong I do ok for the reasons that I started it for... for the exercise and just because I found it interesting.. and I find my mind catches on quickly to what I *should* be doing though my body is often a little slower to actually keep up with what my mind knows. I still do not exactly find myself to be a very "skilled" yellowbelt (if there is such a thing).

In conclusion, I still dont think I could really see me ever competing.. but I was wondering if any of you that actually have competed before didnt really even think you were "good enough" to but did it anyway, just for the heck of it?

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I think competing is good whether or not you are "good." You get a chance to train with somebody outside your dojo, get to learn how to perform under pressure, and it's just a lot of fun. I don't like how serious some people get about competing, to me it's just another form of practice.

There's no place like 127.0.0.1

exactly. very well put lordtariel. everyone always makes a big deal about tournaments. including instructors sometimes. its just a good, fun way to see some different styles and meet new people. i think its the trophies fault. when your in class sparring, you dont try to kill your opponent do you? but, as soon as someone sees the big shiney trophies in the back, suddenly they turn into some killing machine. forget the trophies and have a good time. believe me, i had recently went to a tournament and made a big deal about it. i even posted it here somewhere... but in the end, i just went there and had fun and did my best. truth be told, trophies were the last thing on my mind. if you forget about trophies and trying to impress people and making it like your life depends on winning, you'll have a great time. believe me, its a great experience. you'll be happy you went.

Not to mention, those trophy's just sit around collecting dust and taking up space. I have precious little of that to begin with. :D

Thanks for the input. Though I really dont know if it would have ever been the "trophy" that I would have been all that concerned with anyway.

Even though in my initial post I did make it seem that it was about winning vs loseing I think that that is not really my mindset on things (though is a small part)... its more the worry that I will do much worse than even I know I could do because I have a tendency to "crumble" in front of an audiance :D and I'd be afraid that I'd just embarass myself.

Cus like in class for instance, I dont see others higher up than me or lower down from me thinking anything like "uhhh and *she* is a yellowbelt?", because they know how hard I try even if I dont excel all the time.... though I could see something like that happening in a tounament scenario with a bunch of other people there who do not know me etc.

Because I'm sure you have all probably been to a tournament (I have never been to one so maybe you really never would think this way while there) where you saw someone and thought "wow, did they just pay for their belt"? :bigwink:

I think competing is good whether or not you are "good." You get a chance to train with somebody outside your dojo, get to learn how to perform under pressure, and it's just a lot of fun. I don't like how serious some people get about competing, to me it's just another form of practice.

These are very good points. I was never very good at competitions, but I have still done a few. Forms, I can do well with, but sparring is a different monster. But it is a learning experience, and I do recommend trying it at least once.

its more the worry that I will do much worse than even I know I could do because I have a tendency to "crumble" in front of an audiance :D and I'd be afraid that I'd just embarass myself.

Cus like in class for instance, I dont see others higher up than me or lower down from me thinking anything like "uhhh and *she* is a yellowbelt?", because they know how hard I try even if I dont excel all the time.... though I could see something like that happening in a tounament scenario with a bunch of other people there who do not know me etc.

Because I'm sure you have all probably been to a tournament (I have never been to one so maybe you really never would think this way while there) where you saw someone and thought "wow, did they just pay for their belt"? :bigwink:

I've seen incredible people just fall apart when they were competing and I've seen some people who didn't do well normally shine. Maybe you'll mess up, maybe you won't. Don't be concerned about what other people think of you. The people you train with on a normal basis know your skill and the people from other places, you probably won't see again. Even if you take last place in your division, you're still farther ahead of all those people who were to afraid to compete.

And on top of all this, I believe your post implies that you're a yellow belt? If that's the case than it's great. Nobody expects high proficiency when you're still beginning. That's the best time to compete because nobody expects flawless technique and you get your first tournament stumbles out of the way with other people who are having their first tournament stumbles, not more advanced belts.

Yeah, I've played for a small audience last year and i kinda know you mean, but our equipment was messed up too.

back to my question, are tournaments and all that jazz like full contact or what? cause if someone kicked me in the face i'd prolly be pretty upset about it lol :kaioken:

Revenge is a dish best served cold.