• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Shotokan: The Art of War

Cheradenine

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Hi. I had 3 things to mention after watching the trailer:

1) About 2 minutes into the trailer, one guy (in black pants, gold shirt) was swinging punches like in a high school fight. In class, we punch in a linear fashion. Is swinging also used?

2) I noticed that sometimes a simple punch to the face was quite effective. Even when one person performed a nice-looking kick, the other person was able to front punch the face.

3) Some people were knocked down with one hit, and seemed to be in pain. This made me think that one should condition himself to be able to tolerate pain in case one is attacked. I wonder if any such training will be provided in class, but I don't think so.

"First you must know yourself. Then you can know others."

Somewhere around the house here, I have a bunch of old JKA VHS tapes with all the old timers. One of my favorites was Tanaka and Oishi going at it - AWESOME STUFF!

- Killer -

Mizu No Kokoro

Shodan - Nishiyama Sensei

Table Tennis: http://www.jmblades.com/

Auto Weblog: http://appliedauto.mypunbb.com/

Auto Forum: http://appauto.wordpress.com/

1) About 2 minutes into the trailer, one guy (in black pants, gold shirt) was swinging punches like in a high school fight. In class, we punch in a linear fashion. Is swinging also used?

2) I noticed that sometimes a simple punch to the face was quite effective. Even when one person performed a nice-looking kick, the other person was able to front punch the face.

3) Some people were knocked down with one hit, and seemed to be in pain. This made me think that one should condition himself to be able to tolerate pain in case one is attacked. I wonder if any such training will be provided in class, but I don't think so.

1) Sometimes in Kumite people do get paranoid and start throwing random useless punches. But just so you know, not all attacks in Karate are linear. But in Kumite competitions, swings do not get you points, as what judges are looking for is a good strong fast and accurate gyaku tsuki.

2) That is common sense, you must always take advantage of gaps and mistakes. So when in a Kumite fight, a mawashi geri intercepted with a gyaku tsuki before it could even land will not ever get you any points.

You see, in Shotokan there are generally three principles of blocking in Kumite:

*Block and strike

*Avoid (moving away) and strike

*Strike in place, which is what you mostly saw in that video.

Unfortunately I forgot the Japanese terms for these three principles.

That is why your hands must be up at all times specially when kicking.

3) That's what abdominal muscles are for. But in full contact, people are mostly knocked out due to a strike to the face. And believe it or not, you can prevent that by training your neck muscles.

"If you always put limits on what you can do, physical or anything else, it'll spread over into the rest of your life. It'll spread over into your work, into your mortality, into your entire being. There are no limits. There are plateaus, but you must not stay there, you must go beyond them. If it kills you, it kills you."

Bruce Lee

No, but if the guy was wearing black pants and a gold shirt, chances are he wasn't one of the KUGB guys so could've trained in anything.

Yep, nothing wrong with a nice straightforward punch if you can land it.

Wouldn't you be a bit disappointed in the strikers' skills if the other guy didn't fall down in pain? That's what they train to do.

The second set arrived and I can say it was worth the wait! Tonnes of full on footage and some really impressive technique, control, and yes big hits! I havn't yet had a chance to watch all of it yet - most of the first volume and bits of the other 3. Whats more is there are some trailers linked to some of the other Legend productions which are bound to be next on the list..

I think you are referring to:

1. Sen - before strike attack

2. Sen-no-Sen - same time as strike attack

3. Sen-Go-No-Sen - after strike attack

These are basic concepts. Advanced concepts are:

Kake Waza

Sasoi Waza

It's been so long, I don't recall which is which, but the above two concepts are where 1. You fake and immediately attack as the opponent reacts to the fake. 2. You fake to draw the opponent out with an attack, and after the attack, you attack - similar to sen-go-no-sen.

- Killer -

1) Sometimes in Kumite people do get paranoid and start throwing random useless punches. But just so you know, not all attacks in Karate are linear. But in Kumite competitions, swings do not get you points, as what judges are looking for is a good strong fast and accurate gyaku tsuki.

2) That is common sense, you must always take advantage of gaps and mistakes. So when in a Kumite fight, a mawashi geri intercepted with a gyaku tsuki before it could even land will not ever get you any points.

You see, in Shotokan there are generally three principles of blocking in Kumite:

*Block and strike

*Avoid (moving away) and strike

*Strike in place, which is what you mostly saw in that video.

Unfortunately I forgot the Japanese terms for these three principles.

That is why your hands must be up at all times specially when kicking.

3) That's what abdominal muscles are for. But in full contact, people are mostly knocked out due to a strike to the face. And believe it or not, you can prevent that by training your neck muscles.

Mizu No Kokoro

Shodan - Nishiyama Sensei

Table Tennis: http://www.jmblades.com/

Auto Weblog: http://appliedauto.mypunbb.com/

Auto Forum: http://appauto.wordpress.com/

• 2 years later...