• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Self taught martial arts

Learn to fall without getting hurt. You can do that on your own, and you don't need a book. Then you'll be learning.

Then go and find an instructor. If you don't have enough money, offer to clean the dojo and do odd jobs for lessons.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What makes martial arts different from fighting is..

it's organized and taught in an organized manner

it has philosophy behind it. Do not attack unless you were attacked first or the person attacked an innocent...

This is where I would tend to disagree. What you state here is the ideal of what a Martial Art is according to what has been presented to us by the Eastern-types of philosophies inherent in Eastern styles. This should not be considered the hard-and-fast rule that governs whether something is a Martial Art or not. It just happens to be one culture's rule.

You also mention fighting. Fighting is Martial. When you fight, you are experiencing the epitome of "Martial."

• 4 months later...
Does anyone out there know a good martial art to learn on your own, from a book? I know most people frown apon any self taught martial art, but I'm desperate here! Any help is a preciated! :D

I wish I knew a martial art.... ANY martial art...

:bawling:

Im sorry to tell you that martial arts is a handing down process from teacher to student, and can not be learnt from a book

I think that there is no 1 style , and that to truly become a great martial artist and person you must take information from where ever you can.

Im sorry to tell you that martial arts is a handing down process from teacher to student, and can not be learnt from a book

I disagree. There are many things about the Martial Arts that can be learned from a book or video, or DVD. There are many things that are harder to learn from these sources, like some of the very minute details. However, there are many applications and ideas that one can get from reading a book or watching a video that can help in learning some things. Is it the best way? Not necessarily. But it is a good source, if you have no others.

okay gud point, but lets picture a situation two fighter are at the same level 1 has learnt from a teacher the other from a book , i garante that the one how has learnt from the teacher and has sparring experience will win hands down.

you get the information from books and videos , but you willl never get the experience, which in the long run is what will help the most.

I think that there is no 1 style , and that to truly become a great martial artist and person you must take information from where ever you can.

okay gud point, but lets picture a situation two fighter are at the same level 1 has learnt from a teacher the other from a book , i garante that the one how has learnt from the teacher and has sparring experience will win hands down.

That is not necessarily the case, either. If the person who is learning from the book has also had fighting experience, then he may very well beat the "taught" fighter.

There are so many factors that go into fighting that it is difficult to make such predictions.

I disagree. There are many things about the Martial Arts that can be learned from a book or video, or DVD. There are many things that are harder to learn from these sources, like some of the very minute details. However, there are many applications and ideas that one can get from reading a book or watching a video that can help in learning some things. Is it the best way? Not necessarily. But it is a good source, if you have no others.

I agree.

If the system you are learning relies on very specific details in terms how techniques are to be performed, this can be difficult to learn from a book or dvd. Not impossible, just more difficult.

But for systems(particularly those focused on self defense) where the focus isnt on "perfect" technique, you can learn a great deal from dvd's and books if you dont have access to an instructor in your area.

• 3 weeks later...

Something that I forgot to mention in my other post-

If you are are dead set on training without an instructor- I recommend videos. My fiance- granted he has trained for a while- can watch a video a couple of times, and perform the technique well enough to catch someone in sparring. Some people are just like that, so maybe they could help you.

You suck-train harder.......................Don't block with your face

A good traveler has no fixed plans, and is not intent on arriving.

-Lao Tzu

Something that I forgot to mention in my other post-

If you are are dead set on training without an instructor- I recommend videos. My fiance- granted he has trained for a while- can watch a video a couple of times, and perform the technique well enough to catch someone in sparring. Some people are just like that, so maybe they could help you.

The more MA experience that someone has, the easier it is to pull this off. That is what helps me and my friend out when we watch videos.