• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Self taught martial arts

Don't forget that what is being asked here is not if one can learn how to fight from books. What is being asked is if one can learn a martial art from books.

I don't differentiate these two to the extent that others would.

As I said, I am not arguing the quality that self-taught vs. teacher taught would produce. I am just stating that it can be done a bit more efficiently now.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Intrinsically they are not different as martial art = fighting. However, that is not the point in question here. Learning to fight is not learning the martial arts' way of fighting and hence, not learning the martial art.

This isn't about quality either. Simple fact is, you are either learnibn a martial art or you are not. Learning means taking instruction from one who knows. Instruction is more than being shown how something. Form is more than what can be shown.

Would you say you could've learnt what you have from books and videos?

edit:typo

Edited by mantis.style

traditional chinese saying:

speak much, wrong much

Would you say you could've learnt what you have from books and videos?

I have not argued that at all. However, I do think you can learn without instruction. It may be the longer road, but you can learn without it; the school of hard knocks, I guess.

But would you really be learning the martial art? Let's say I watched a hell of a lot of early UFC matches and read every book the Gracies have released on the subject, can I say I learnt BJJ from the Gracies? I've got a few re-prints of Hung Kuen books written by Lam Sai Wing, can I say I learnt Hung Kuen from him? The answer is no. If this answer is no, then how is it possible to say that I learnt BJJ and Hung Kuen at all?

Again, sure, there are things you can learn but I wouldn't say you are learning that martial art.

speak much, wrong much

But would you really be learning the martial art? Let's say I watched a hell of a lot of early UFC matches and read every book the Gracies have released on the subject, can I say I learnt BJJ from the Gracies? I've got a few re-prints of Hung Kuen books written by Lam Sai Wing, can I say I learnt Hung Kuen from him? The answer is no. If this answer is no, then how is it possible to say that I learnt BJJ and Hung Kuen at all?

Again, sure, there are things you can learn but I wouldn't say you are learning that martial art.

Just wanted to add to that post. It is hard enough to learn a martial art from a competent instructor and long hours of training, how is one supposed to learn from books and self teaching?

Having said that, books and dvds can be very handy when one is already putting a long hours of training in his chosen martial art, or if one has mastered or has working knowledge of one system and is trying to understand a similar system.

They are also a good source for personal research into different types of martial arts that one might be interested in. I have my own small library of books on various kung fu (karate) styles. That does not make me a practitioner of those styles.

Fighting arts that were not effective for fighting and selfdefense, never lasted long enough in martial arts history, to gain the Traditional Martial Arts - TMA - status.

I think that books are a great way to supplement one's learning, and at times, when training is interrupted for some reason, learning from books may enrich and keep the mind in the MA thought processes.

I don't think that never having done MA's before, picking up a book is the best way to start.

You suck-train harder.......................Don't block with your face

A good traveler has no fixed plans, and is not intent on arriving.

-Lao Tzu

I never did claim that you would be "taught" by the Gracies, just because you study from their book. But yes, you would be learning BJJ.

I'm not saying that you did claim that. I'm only pointing out the disparity between the learning from a book and being taught by someone; the key point the manner in which instruction is given. Again, the thing to remember here is that the question is whether or not you can learn a atyle from books (and videos). The thing is, these things are quite rigorous in their structure and teaching systems and everything tend to follow a pattern for a reason. Unless that book you have follows the typical class, I won't say that you are learning that style. At best, I would say you are copying the style but that doesn't mean you are learning the style, does it? Again, this is from my personal experience from people who I've met who have read a couple of books and copied the simple looking Wing Chun hand and arm positions and said that they're learning wing chun. I don't think I need to explain the rest of the story.

speak much, wrong much

• 1 month later...

to add more to this..

lets say u made it pretty high up into the ranks..

high enough that you have pretty in depth understanding of your art, adding in the fact that unlike your average person taking classes.. them being a person who is taking a martial art, and you being a "martial artist". Because even when your not in class your researching, reading, and practicing what you have learned.

would it be feasible for a 2nd degree black belt of the art to teach and test you as long as he knows he stuff.. when there are no schools available in that particular art anymore.. and if your current instructor in a different art has gave u and the 2nd degree the go ahead to do so?

"Fear does not exist in this dojo does it?"

• 3 weeks later...

both those for and against any type of self training have a point. I understand this situation because I am in one very much like it. you CAN learn to fight from books and vids with hard work. What makes martial arts different from fighting is..

it's organized and taught in an organized manner

it has philosophy behind it. Do not attack unless you were attacked first or the person attacked an innocent. Martial arts is not just learning how to kick butt. Those who study martial arts may seek it to become and stay healthy, to learn morals and other internal stuff, or to learn a very powerful last resort.

As for me, I beleive I do not need to study philosophy of martial arts. I never had to. I discovered all in my journey, i have learned it just by living my life. ..i've had a heck of an adventure and am still going :P

I learn martial arts AND how to fight because I want to protect myself, but much more important to me. To protect my friends and innocents should they ever get into trouble. So, with my philoshpy in mind. I just need to learn how to use my weapon in order to protect. Wich is, evidently, myself.

and I self teach from book and vid. Thank you very much.

Strike first. 'Til then i will not fight you.

Everytime someone calls JKD a style, Bruce turns over.

Why do I love Bruce Lee? Not because he was an awesome martial artist- but because his train of thought overlapped with mine even before I knew about him.

Thank you karate forums, for introducing me to Bruce Lee