• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

roundhouse - instep or ball of foot

turbo wrx

I use all three, depending on the situation. I make sure to practice all three as well.

I can break 4 boards with a ball of the foot round kick, done head level. I can also break 2 boards with an instep round kick at chest to head level. So you can use both; although not everyone is into pain as much as I am. :brow: The shin kick is also a very powerful kick as well, and I use it for low kicks to the legs.

Cross brought up some interesting points when it comes to choosing the tool to kick with. One other thing to consider is range as well. If you throw a kick, and the opponent moves (as they often do), then you may not have a choice as to which tool you strike with. If they are close, the shin will do the damage. If they move away, then the instep may be the only way to get to them with that move, at that time.

Wearing shoes/boots, as cross mentioned, can also give an extra layer of protection to the striking tool. This is the only time that I think I would strike with the toe(s) of my foot (especially wearing steel-toed boots). However, I have seen clips of the toes being used. I think it would take many years to toughen the toes up for that, though.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To me it would make sense that using the ball of the foot would allow you to concentrate more force into a smaller area, causing more damage. However, the shin allows a larger area to hit, so you don't have to be as precise and can also be devastating. I would assume using the shin requires some conditioning though. In a fight though I'm not going to be thinking about which portion of the foot to kick with, I'm just going to be concerned with hitting them. :D

There's no place like 127.0.0.1

I use all three also.... depends on the target area.

However sparring I also use instep as shin and ball of the foot are pretty devistating.

For self defense a full on roundhouse with the shin to your attackers leg will usually render him to the floor & pretty much unable to chase after you..... :-)

Leigh

2nd Dan Wado-ryu (previous style)

7th Kyu Shito-ryu (current)

https://www.wrexhamkarate.co.uk

well for class purposes instep is fine, for pad work use ball or instep, but in street apps you will most likely be using your shin.

Why would you practice one way in class, then change when you actually have to defend yourself? Is it because you don't think the way you practice in class is practical?

BT

no, actually BT, the motion is identical, its just easier for most students to picture the foot hitting rather than the shin. once they learn the movement, now its easier to picture the thought of snapping the shin, into someones face. and also if you teach students only the shin way, they will use it to fight that way but if you actually go down your leg more and use your shin you tend to over commit, so thats also another reason, to use the furthest part of your foot.

K.Chuilli

2nd Dan, Instructor

Kyo Sah Nim

Moo Duk Kwan Tang Soo Do

We're taught using instep, but I'm aware of ball of foot (which I find difficult to execute doing a roundhouse kick) and shin. I guess instep is taught because it is easier for beginners to learn than ball of foot, not as likely to cause injury as shin, and gives you good reach when sparring. In a real fight, instep could be impractical due to the risk of self-injury if not well protected. I'm sure we've all been there with nasty bruising or small fractures to the bones in the top of the feet!

"They can because they think they can." - School Motto.

(Shodan 11th Oct 08)

In a real fight, instep could be impractical due to the risk of self-injury if not well protected. I'm sure we've all been there with nasty bruising or small fractures to the bones in the top of the feet!

Each of the 4 different foot weapons...the instep, ball, shin and toes, is used for a different target area. For example, you wouldn't kick a hard target, such as an opponents hip with the toes, but rather you'd be more specific and attack softer nerve centers in the lower abdomen and inner thigh regions. Once learned, it is an easy and natural transition for your foot to form which weapon is needed.

If you don't want to stand behind our troops, please..feel free to stand in front of them.

Student since January 1975---4th Dan, retired due to non-martial arts related injuries.

Great thread! Me personally, I can only strike using the instep or the shin. Whenever I try hitting with the ball of the foot, I always end up striking with my toes. Is there a trick to hitting with the ball of the foot?

Great thread! Me personally, I can only strike using the instep or the shin. Whenever I try hitting with the ball of the foot, I always end up striking with my toes. Is there a trick to hitting with the ball of the foot?

I am glad that you brought this up, because it is a good point. When kicking with the ball of the foot, you have to make sure that your target is at the proper angle when striking with that area. Take a board break, for example. If I am kicking with my back leg, I line up at about a 45 degree angle to the board. That way, when I make contact, I am only making contact with the ball of the foot, and the toes are out of the way, maximizing the striking area.

That is why in sparring, you see so much instep striking. The surface is flat, and doesn't require any special angles to get to the target from. Same way with the shin. That is why the shin is so versatile as well; no angular restricitions, and it is a very hard tool, causing lots of damage.