• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

escaping a wrist grab

turbo wrx

you pull back he pulls you in, you lose balance and step on his front foot , you try to keep your balance and by mistake your tumb hits his eye , from the corner of the nose, it slides inside the eye. what a terrible accident it could be.

here you can see the same clumsy hand posture by GoKenKi ,the tumb stays out like a fish hook while the whole hand is flat with 45' angle in respect to forearm.

http://freeweb.lombardiacom.it/usri/Storia/Le%20origini%20dello%20Shito-ryu/The%20History%20of%20Shito-Ryu%20Karate-Do.htm

Edited by P.A.L

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

In my style we attack the pressure points on the inside of the wrist in one of several different ways.

It really depends on how the attacker grabs your arm.

Lets assume that the attacker used his left arm to grab your right arm at the wrist.

As someone stated above the grabbed hand really isnt what you need to worry about because usually there will be the attackers other hand following it up with something else.

So to prepare for that we pull the right arm back into a ready position at your own side and use your knuckles to sort of apply pressure to the points on the inside of the wrist. This will weaken the attackers grip. At the same time do a high block with the left hand to block against any incoming punches. If there is or isnt it really doesnt matter as now that hand is cocked and ready to do a downward stike to the attackers left arm that is grabbing yours.

Also to make this work better a good quick snap kick to the attackers shins,knees,or groin helps immensely.

I have been practicing this for over 15 years and I have yet to find anyone strong enough for this not to work.

Hope this helps.

They grab me, I punch them in the face.

^^this^^

I would much prefer a palm strike under the chin. Less telegraphed(under the line of vision), less chance of breaking hand, more chance of hurting the person, more options for follow ups.

That would work well, too. My friend and I have been doing some Close Quarters Combatives, and we do a lot with open hand techniques as well.

• 8 months later...

If they grab your wrist, you can always go for an old fashioned Seoinage. :karate:

Here is a 'drop ippon' variation of the throw. You can see it used after the grab:

Here is a demonstration of an ippon used in a compliant setting for learning purposes:

Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.

~Theodore Roosevelt

yep! one of my favorite throws and one of the basics. It translates well into wrestling and MMA also.

Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.

~Theodore Roosevelt