• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Improving balance?

Canoe2fish

Hey folks...I've been working on Kata Saifa lately and I don't feel like my balancing on one foot is improving. My raised leg (thigh) is parallel with the ground with my calf being vertical and I feel like my block and upturned hand are in the right places.

Is there any tips or excercises I can do to aid in strengthening my ankles? (I'm presuming this is the reason??)

Thanks in advance.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Practice, practice, practice. I have the same problem but it's getting a lot better these days. I spend a lot of time standing on one foot. One thing you can do is pick a spot in the distance and focus your eyes on that spot. Also, make sure you don't lock your plant leg. Keep the knee flexible so that your plant leg is kind of like a shock absorber. Other than that, just spend some time every day standing on one leg. See how long you can stand there without losing balance.

Also, make sure the foot you're standing on is at an angle, not pointing straight ahead. It will give you a more stable platform to balance on. Balance is just one of those things you need to practice. It will come with time. I don't know the kata you're doing, but slow the transition onto the one leg stance down and that should help as well.

There's no place like 127.0.0.1

Wow, thanks for the quick advice!

I wonder if I'm locking my support leg after all...I'll check that out.

Lordtariel, I would slow down the transition but in this case I have to hop from one leg to the other as well as a hop/jump leading into that progression or set of moves.

Domo Aragato, Sensei's and/or fellow students.

Some plyometric exercises, like the pogo, or the bunny hop, can help to improve the stability and strength of the ankles as well. Look up some plyometric exercises, and see if they help, too.

I find that looking at myself in the mirror when practicing balance stuff helps me get it under control.

You suck-train harder.......................Don't block with your face

A good traveler has no fixed plans, and is not intent on arriving.

-Lao Tzu

My balance used to be pretty good when I was younger, but now it sucks. I have a few ideas that *might* help, but actual results may vary. :P

1. Kick your left leg up behind you such that you can grab your left ankle with your right hand. Balance as long as you can. You can bend your supporting leg's knee slightly to help, but don't bounce. Switch legs and do it again.

2. Hold weights in your hands (such as dumbbells), and balance on your tip-toes for a few seconds at a time. After a few up-and-down movements, balance on your tip-toes as long as you can.

3. Bring your right knee up to waist height and hold it steady as long as you can. Bend your supporting leg's knee slightly. Switch legs and do it again.

"First you must know yourself. Then you can know others."