• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Making the best out of being a southpaw....a reality check..

Hi guys, for you boxers out there, I've been a Kickboxer for 6 years, and an instructor for about 2. I've gotten out of hard sparring because of my neck and just a need for a change. I had an old student come back, and have started sparring again.

I've never been able to capatleize on being a south paw, and find my defense against the dreaded straight right and left hook is somtimes lacking if the opponent is fast! Granted the student has been training hard for a while now and I've basically been a boxersize coach, but Im being hit more now than ever! Im happy to see this guy is 100% better than when he left...Im typing this with a fat lip! hahaha.

I know it always takes a while for my defence to warm up again, but whats the best way to defend against those shots, and make the most of my stance? I'm ashamed to admit it after all this time, but I know there are guys with way more experience than me in the same boat, that have used it to their advantage. Thanks for the time. Ryan

• 7 months later...
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I guess the only way to practice defense against a southpaw is to take time out of your training to practice AS a southpaw. Try to get yourself comfortable with being in the position. My case is different because I'm a southpaw but I feel completely natural fighting orthodox also, without ever needing any remedial training, but I guess the best way to find out is to spar left-handed.

• 7 months later...

I've been doing Muay Thai since '96 and startedteaching at about 6-7 months into it(assisting my first Kru). I'm a natural southpaw but had to "learn" orthadox ways so holding pads and teaching orthadox would be easier. I have been able to captalize on being a southpaw, especially at landing the inside leg kick with my rear left leg. Since I teach orthadox it has helped me be more effective at kicking with my lead right leg without switching, and something I emphasize to my students. Relying on switching kicks is a crutch. If you can kick without switching your kicks your kicks will only be that much quicker.

I think you just have to get comfortable man..the more you spar and get over the awkwardness or whatever you want to call it, it shouldn't matter if you're a southpaw or orthadox. Since you have boxing experience you can always rely on the old keeping your lead foot outside of their lead foot game...