• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

What would you do?

Fish

My sensei has recently announced that he intends to leave the organisation we are with and join another organisation. I personally would quite like to stay with the organisation we are with at the moment. This is for several reasons, the foremost of which is that I have progressed to 3rd kyu with this organisation, and would like to see it through to shodan following their syllabus. On the other hand, I have a good rapport with my sensei. So should I follow him, or should I stay with the organisation we are with? Is there an etiquette here? Any thoughts appreciated.

"They can because they think they can." - School Motto.

(Shodan 11th Oct 08)

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

This is the politics of the Martial Arts world.

It really depends. I say, do what you feel is right. Sit down and talk to the instructor about it, and see what he has to say. Is there a reason for the split? Is there bad blood somewhere? Discuss these things with him, and see what you can work out.

I can see why you would want to stay within a system that is already somewhat established, and may be accredited. Perhaps, after you get your black belt, you can rejoin your instructor, if that is what both parties are willing to do.

I can relate to your situation Fish...I believe the ISKF in Shotokan separated from JKA, and I had done alot under it.

As for advice, I think Bushido_Man has that pretty much covered.

Talking with your instructor is probably your best option.

Remember that, the politics and the superficial sides of martial arts are constantly changing, however, training still will be training, and you’ll still be you tomorrow...just hopefully a little bit better.

Good luck.

"Time is what we want most, but what we use worst"

William Penn

I would agree that you should find out the reasons for the move. Our dojang switched organizations because our instructor was not happy with the level of support we were receiving amoungst other things. I had taken my 1st dan under the old organisation but was recognized at this level under the new one. The was little change in the curriculum and I actually think it was for the best.

There must be a reason for your instructor's decision. Hopefully it is the best for his students but as Menjo said:

Remember that, the politics and the superficial sides of martial arts are constantly changing, however, training still will be training, and you’ll still be you tomorrow...just hopefully a little bit better.

"Everything has its beauty, but not everyone sees it." ~ Confucius

I believe both the organisation we are with now and the one we are joining are recognised British karate organisations affiliated to the UKGB. I will keep the same grade on changing organisation. My sensei will be able to grade students up to 1st kyu in the new organisation, whereas in the current one all students are graded centrally. He plans to change the syllabus on changing over.

I think the reason for the move is that he feels "picked on" or inadequately supported by the head sensei. For example, there have been occasions when his students have failed gradings when he thought they should pass. Having said that, a number of times, the chief instructor has corrected my technique at a grading.

Another issue may be that, last year, the organisation cancelled a black belt grading the night before it was due to take place. My sensei's son was one of those due to take the grading.

Personally, I'm not much interested in the politics. I'm interested in training and achieving my potential. One frustration for me at the moment is the lack of adults in my class, so if sensei moved organisation it might give me the opportunity to change classes (by staying with our current organisation and switching to a different instructor).

(Shodan 11th Oct 08)

I believe both the organisation we are with now and the one we are joining are recognised British karate organisations affiliated to the UKGB. I will keep the same grade on changing organisation. My sensei will be able to grade students up to 1st kyu in the new organisation, whereas in the current one all students are graded centrally. He plans to change the syllabus on changing over.

I think the reason for the move is that he feels "picked on" or inadequately supported by the head sensei. For example, there have been occasions when his students have failed gradings when he thought they should pass. Having said that, a number of times, the chief instructor has corrected my technique at a grading.

Another issue may be that, last year, the organisation cancelled a black belt grading the night before it was due to take place. My sensei's son was one of those due to take the grading.

Personally, I'm not much interested in the politics. I'm interested in training and achieving my potential. One frustration for me at the moment is the lack of adults in my class, so if sensei moved organisation it might give me the opportunity to change classes (by staying with our current organisation and switching to a different instructor).

It's a tough call, although my inclination would be to go with the association rather than instructor.

I notice you are a wado-ka from London. All of the three Major Wado Groups are represented in London, WIKF, Wado-Ryu Renmei and JKF Wado-Kai.

I would do my homework on the association your instructor is migrating to and see if they are part of one of these groups. (I think that when you refer to UKGB, you mean EKGB which is actually defunct now, but regardless of this they were the Karate Governing body and had very little to do with the running of any associations.

If the association you are with at the moment has better credentials, and would serve you better as a student in the long term, I would stick with them.

It’s a hard one though. Let us know how you get on.

"The difference between the possible and impossible is one's will"

"saya no uchi de katsu" - Victory in the scabbbard of the sword. (One must obtain victory while the sword is undrawn).

https://www.art-of-budo.com

I don't think we are part of one of those Wado groups. We are with Shikon, which I understood was part of EKGB (yes, my mistake in earlier post).

I took a grading yesterday (see separate post), and really enjoyed being there, sparring with a couple of the black belts as part of my test. I feel I'd like to become a shodan in this organisation.

(Shodan 11th Oct 08)

I don't think we are part of one of those Wado groups. We are with Shikon, which I understood was part of EKGB (yes, my mistake in earlier post).

I took a grading yesterday (see separate post), and really enjoyed being there, sparring with a couple of the black belts as part of my test. I feel I'd like to become a shodan in this organisation.

First of all, well done with the grading.

I take it that "Shikon" is the association that your Sensei has moved to, (and not the one you were previously with). I have not trained with Steve Rowe, but one guy that trains at our Dojo did a stint with Shikon in the past, and he speaks highly of them and of Steve Rowe.

I understand they are Wado based but, I think you are correct that, they are not connected to any of the main international Wado groups. They are like a number of Karate associations in the UK that base their "curriculum" on Wado and that’s not a bad thing I suppose.

As long as they teach you that Wado is all about how to move; you will be on the right road.

"The difference between the possible and impossible is one's will"

"saya no uchi de katsu" - Victory in the scabbbard of the sword. (One must obtain victory while the sword is undrawn).

https://www.art-of-budo.com

First thing is first. Talk to your sensei about it and ask him what he thinks is best for you. After this, decide what for yourself what is best for you. That way you will have some great advice as to what you should do.

"Nothing is ever truly broken, it only cannot do that which it was meant to do."

-Sensei Chris Parrill-