• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, thats true for any school really,

True, but I would say more so for kung fu because of its richness and complicatedness, specially when the internals are involved.

luckily I have a great school. My teacher's teacher was actually a Shaolin monk, and his Arnis teacher was world renowned Grand Master Remy Presas, so ours is as tradition as you can get in America at least.

Good to hear that :) . Out of interest does your school have a web site I could look at?

Fighting arts that were not effective for fighting and selfdefense, never lasted long enough in martial arts history, to gain the Traditional Martial Arts - TMA - status.

Yeah, thats true for any school really,

True, but I would say more so for kung fu because of its richness and complicatedness, specially when the internals are involved.

luckily I have a great school. My teacher's teacher was actually a Shaolin monk, and his Arnis teacher was world renowned Grand Master Remy Presas, so ours is as tradition as you can get in America at least.

Good to hear that :) . Out of interest does your school have a web site I could look at?

We are a sister school of Grandmaster Ward's School. My instructor trained for years with GM Ward until he moved down here and started his own school.

http://www.kungfuarnis.com/index.html

You have to read the life of Grandmaster Ward, read what all training he has done, its very impressive.

We are a sister school of Grandmaster Ward's School. My instructor trained for years with GM Ward until he moved down here and started his own school.

http://www.kungfuarnis.com/index.html

You have to read the life of Grandmaster Ward, read what all training he has done, its very impressive.

I just got on the web. I am looking forward to a good read. Thank you for the link. :)

Fighting arts that were not effective for fighting and selfdefense, never lasted long enough in martial arts history, to gain the Traditional Martial Arts - TMA - status.

I was told that some practitioners o0f mantis style are trained not to blink during a fight, I'm pretty sure that's a bit of the old chinese whispers coming through like half the books I've read on the subject of bojutsu *shrugs*, but it's an odd claim.

I wish I wish I hadn't killed that fish

I was told that some practitioners o0f mantis style are trained not to blink during a fight, I'm pretty sure that's a bit of the old chinese whispers coming through like half the books I've read on the subject of bojutsu *shrugs*, but it's an odd claim.

In our school of Wing Chun we are told not to blink either. I suspect that this is true with many martial arts, especially the ones that stress close range fighting.

In our school of Wing Chun we are told not to blink either. I suspect that this is true with many martial arts, especially the ones that stress close range fighting.

Don't see a lot of non Yip Man wing chun. What can you tell me about yours? Any website to look at?

traditional chinese saying:

speak much, wrong much

Don't see a lot of non Yip Man wing chun. What can you tell me about yours? Any website to look at?

All I can tell you is that there are not branches in London. I am currently training what I know (mid Chum Kiu) on my own and my sifu when I see him on vacations. The lineage seems to have more variations of punching and kicking techniques than the Yip Man lineage. The weapons training doesn't only include the butterfly knives and the Pole, but also darts training. There is heavy emphasis on chi kung/internal training and Iron Palm/Fist/Shirt. It takes around 8 years of hard and regular training to reach instructor status. There are strong Tiger elements in this lineage and they become more apparent at the Biu Jee level.

And you are going to love this, at the latter stages of Chum Kiu there is the Wing Chun ground fighting training, based on this style's own techniques and theories and concepts, I.E. It is not borrowed/cross-trained judo,bjj, etc. ground fighting. :D

yes mantis is very good for self-defence provided u have a good teacher my teacher splits r forms into drill sets so we can practic each little by little, then sparrs with us and makes us them.

we also do alot of mantis grappling work and throwing moves witch many schools that teach kungfu dont do.

(sigh) i love my school :D

you must learn different combinations of techniques down to your very soul and they must come without thinking when you finish with one technique, you must immediately go into another until you have attained your goal which is to destroy the enemy.