• advertisement_alt

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The self-defense aspects of most arts are best determined by talking with the instructor of the style where you will choose to train. The instructor will be able to tell you his philosophies and methodologies on training, and what he likes to do for self-defense applications and such.

well I have had an intrest in the mantis and was wondering if it was acully a good art for self defense.

If the training involves practicing and learning about conflict de-escalation, signs of aggression, pre fight posturing, pre emptive strikes, legal implications, dealing with police interviews, your rights in terms of defending yourself, dealing with post traumatic stress, the possibility of revenge attacks etc. Then yes, it will be pretty good for self defense.

Remember that self defence isn't always the same thing as fighting.

I agree 100%. However, the physical portion of self defense is fighting. Unless the style in question covers all areas of self defense(some of which are mentioned in my previous post) not just the physical, then all the person will be learning is fighting. Weather its effective or not is another story.

Well, for the record, I've never had any problems. Also remember that doesn't mean you won't have any problems. People are different, styles are different and how proficient you get in a style depends on lots of things. The best answer that I can give you is that for me, mantis has been sufficient for my needs. I should also add that it isn't the only style that I have ever practiced and it's not like I haven't been doing this sort of thing for coming up to 10 years now.

traditional chinese saying:

speak much, wrong much

Mantis is a wonderful style, it will definitely help you in a fight, it will teach you to deflect and trap/lock your opponents then take them to the ground and imobilize them. Just watch the insect it deflects grabs, then takes them to the ground, then eats them. I suggest you don't eat your opponent but make them pay :)

well I have had an intrest in the mantis and was wondering if it was acully a good art for self defense.

It is an excellent art for self defense but like all kung fu styles and more than most, the most difficult part of training is actually finding an authentic school who is willing to teach you in the authentic way - and not some made up, "modernized", "improved", etc. pseudo kung fu.

So the advice, as for any would be kung fu trainee, would be to find a real school and to train real hard. Then you will learn to fight real good. :)

Fighting arts that were not effective for fighting and selfdefense, never lasted long enough in martial arts history, to gain the Traditional Martial Arts - TMA - status.