• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Taeguk forms

I was watching some of the Taeguk forms on you tube. I noticed that some of them have stances that I can only describe as a walking stance. It's basically a person standing straight up and performing the technique.

Is this a mistake on the part of the practitioner, or is it part of the form? In karate (specifically shotokan) none of the forms I've learned have such a relaxed looking stance. Her knees almost look locked as she performs the movements. I'm assuming that's not the case though. Here's the vid.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vLiWvNTUUgI

Thanks,

Bill

"It is impossible to make anything foolproof because fools are so ingenius."

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Your judgement has not betrayed you, Bill. They are actually called "walking stances," and they are just as you describe them. When General Choi designed the Ch'ang On system, that stance did not exist. However, the WTF created it for their new forms system.

It is simply that, walking. In later forms, you don't see it quite as much, but in the early forms, it is very prevalent.

There are 3 basic stances in the taegeuk forms, the front stance, walking stance and fighting stance, that are used the most. You'll occasionally see horse stance, such as in the end of taegeuk chil-jang, but it's not as common as the first 3 stances I mentioned. When done properly, you'll see a distinct difference in walking stance (feet approximately 1 shoe length apart heel of one to toe of the other) versus front stance (feet approximately 3-4 shoe lengths apart heel to toe).

One plus of having a "walking stance" is that it doesn't really have a "fighting" look to it, as the other stances do, so in a "pre-fight" scenario, you can be in a "ready" posture and not look like you're preparing to act. To me, it's a compromise between an obvious fight ready posture and a neutral posture. To the untrained, you don't look like you're fixing to go get physical, so I think it less likely to be seen as an aggressive overture.

what goes around, comes around

Thanks for the info! I appreciate it. In WTF, did the Taegeuk forms replace the palgwe forms or are they both still taught?

"It is impossible to make anything foolproof because fools are so ingenius."

The Palgue forms are still taught by some older schools outside Korea, ours included. Within Korea, all schools learn the Taegeuk forms. I prefer the Palgue myself. The walking stance is used in at least one WTF BB form, Koryo, which predates the Taegeuk forms. Aside from allowing mobility, the walking stance is a direct tribute to the Kumgang Yuksa warrior statues in Korea that are almost 2000 years old and show Korean warriors from that time period demonstrating some form of Korean martial arts.

There is no martial arts without philosophy.

I watched some of those videos. Some were good, but one or two of them dropped their hands while kicking! That drives me and my instructor NUTS!

Anyways, the posts above are correct. About the walking stance, though. It is like "walking," but your knees should NOT be locked. They should be relaxed and bent slightly.

Laurie F

The Palgue forms are still taught by some older schools outside Korea, ours included. Within Korea, all schools learn the Taegeuk forms. I prefer the Palgue myself. The walking stance is used in at least one WTF BB form, Koryo, which predates the Taegeuk forms. Aside from allowing mobility, the walking stance is a direct tribute to the Kumgang Yuksa warrior statues in Korea that are almost 2000 years old and show Korean warriors from that time period demonstrating some form of Korean martial arts.

Actually, if you are practicing the later version of Koryo (the version with the knifehand block followed by a double side kick near the beginning of the form), it was created at the same time as the Tae Guek forms, in 1973 or 74. The original version of Koryo (created in 1967), doesn't have a walking stance in it and doesn't resemble the later Koryo form at all.

R. McLain

Actually I'm not surprised, as the Kukkiwon is well known for tinkering with its forms, adding techniques, changing existing movements, or removing them. All in an attempt to make them better and deeper.

Additionally, as Korea and its martial arts "rediscovered" themselves, there was a concerted effort to make them more Korean and less Japanese.

There are also two examples of walking stances in the color belt forms: Palgue Sa Chang and Palgue Pal Chang. Both are used to increase mobility to set up for an immediate counterattack.

So again, the walking stances in the Taegeuk forms do have precedent in earlier Korean forms. It's also something that separates them from other styles.

There is no martial arts without philosophy.