• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Who Feels Could Defend Against a Knife Attack?

If the person with the knife is trained I bet anyone would be in trouble. Your average moron would probably be waving it around, but someone who really means business might be smart enough not to even let you see they had a knife until it was too late. Plus people who are trained will probably slice any part of you that gets near them, rather than specifically going for vital areas. Getting cut as nastily as they'd cut you is traumatic enough to weaken you psychologically... then they're free to do the real damage.

I'd rather never find out. We've been ruined enough by action movies to think that's ever a harmless situation.

1st Dan Hapkido

Colored belts in Kempo and Jujitsu

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

With a blade of my own? Maybe.

With my G30? Yes.

Unarmed? Probably not, but I'd sure as hell give it a shot. I'm a long way from learning knife defenses in TKD but I've never had much faith in them anyway. Kali or another Filipino art makes more sense, but often assumes you are armed too. This is no problem for me since I'm a paranoid American :grin: but maybe for some.

* Ignorant Taekwondo beginner.

http://www.thefiringline.com

TKL, he has a knife, you are unarmed, and that means you have an advantage? :weirdlook:

I'm a little lost on that one. Do you carry a knife so that you can give it to your attacker in order to create an advantage for yourself?

To me, that sounds a lot like the people who say not to carry a gun because a bad guy will just take it away from you and use it against you.

• 2 weeks later...

I don't know why, but knifes scare me more than guns. I think it may be because guns take longer to kill. If someone pointed a gun at you, they still have to pull the trigger and have ammo. If someone pulled a knife on you, they could just shove it into your chest and you die with ultimate suffering. At least, with a gun, it'd be over with quickly and less pain would come. Knifes scare me to death. I have a great respect for them and are extremely careful around them.

:wave:,

Dee :karate:

Dee C.

Normal ( 'nor-m&l)-

an adj. used by humans to stereotype

BlueDragon speaks the truth. You will not neatly grab his wrist, disarm him and throw him. You WILL be cut.

Knives are not actually more dangerous than firearms, although some people, assuming very close range, are more dangerous with a knife than many others would be with a gun. Certainly if an untrained person with a gun lets a trained knife fighter close into his range, they're in trouble.

However, many people see knives as capable of more gruesome, bloody or painful wounds than a firearm, and for the most part that's true. Somewhere on knifeforums.com, a young man named Thaddeus posted a description of what it was like to cut someone in a real-life fight--the feeling of the knife going through muscle, striking bone, the thrashing, the blood. It wasn't pretty. In fact, it was enough to make you taste yesterday's lunch.

He posted it in response to a kid who kept coming back incessantly asking mincing questions about wound channels and ways to get ever-larger and gorier wounds. Kid needed to understand that he wasn't playing a game. Much depends on the type of knife as well. A decent bowie knife, like Bagwell's Gambler or Hell's Belle models, can take your hand off at the wrist. And the same blow can be reversed in an instant with a back-cut; if the swedge is sharp or the knife is double-edged, any technique that requires you to grab his wrist will get you badly cut and might lose the use of that hand for the rest of the fight. Using a knife on someone is serious business.

So is facing one! And I'm sorry, but if you really, honestly believe that two arms, two legs and a knife are inferior to two arms and two legs you aren't really training to stop a knife. When the time comes, you will be cut to ribbons. It will not be like the movies. If you don't bleed out, you will probably still have incredibly painful wounds and permanent loss of some function.