• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Who Feels Could Defend Against a Knife Attack?

My TKD dojo has a really stupid knife defence system. It involves you using a belt to control the attacker's knife hand then coming behind them with their hand still tightly held by the belt.

:kaioken: I'm gonna cut you!

:karate: Sure let me just get my belt out... one sec...

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I definately agree with taezee. We train in a number of knife defenses, but I would still not go up against an attacker un-armed unless there was no time to pick something up.

Kuk Sool Won - 4th dan

Evil triumphs when good men do nothing.

On 2002-05-30 20:33, shurikengirl wrote:

I'm surprised no one's mentioned that there's simple blocks that can, in a couple quick motions block the knife and then disable the attacker.

They teach techniques in the military and in judo, and other arts.

In one move, you block with your arms crossed like a v, the attacker's arm falling into the v. From there you slide down their arm, maintaining their forward momentum, to grab the wrist and bring it up and over your shoulder. You then break their elbow by pulling their elbow down the wrong way over your shoulder. If you don't want to break it, you can just take the knife.

yeah right... and if they let go of the knife, it'll drop right down on your head... saionara!

"knowledge speaks, wisdom listens" (J. Hendrix)

When you're attacked by someone with a knive, you're are screwed up at first and if you can get out of it, you're pretty damn lucky.

counichiwa undefined

Wing Chun Kung Fu (Yip Man) and

Kali (Pekiti Tersia) martial artist

(no belts needed)

On 2002-05-30 20:33, shurikengirl wrote:

I'm surprised no one's mentioned that there's simple blocks that can, in a couple quick motions block the knife and then disable the attacker.

They teach techniques in the military and in judo, and other arts.

In one move, you block with your arms crossed like a v, the attacker's arm falling into the v. From there you slide down their arm, maintaining their forward momentum, to grab the wrist and bring it up and over your shoulder. You then break their elbow by pulling their elbow down the wrong way over your shoulder. If you don't want to break it, you can just take the knife.

You want to be careful not to break the elbow too hard though, or you'll probably stab yourself in the chest as their arm comes down.

---------

Pil Sung

Jimmy B

Hi all,

One of the best martial art to defend yourself against any weapons is Silat and Kali were your learn to neutralize the weapon and the arm of your opponent.

counichiwa

Wing Chun Kung Fu (Yip Man) and

Kali (Pekiti Tersia) martial artist

(no belts needed)

Usually when someone attacks with a knife their mental focus is on sticking you with it, in other words they disregard their other weapons i.e. their hands and or feet.

It means that with a fair amount of certanty that (the knife) is all you must watch out for.

This gives you an advantage because you are thinking with four or more weapons as they are thinking with one.

My preference is to try to take their legs out from under them with kicks to the knee or below. I want to be as far from the blade as possible! Plus, when you are kicking low, your opponent tends to stick his jaw forward and if you are fast you could possibly catch him with a hand technique to the face/neck.

Even though I know many of those knife disabling (stock) moves I would probably never use them in a street situation because it's too easy for someone with a knife to throw a feint to your belly and end up sticking you in the neck as you are trying to intercept his arm!

If there was a way to avoid the confrontation i.e. handing him the wallet/running like hell/having Withers shoot him, well, I'd be all for it!

"It is not enough to aim, you must hit."

-Italian Proverb

[ This Message was edited by: Ti-Kwon-Leap on 2002-06-20 21:23 ]

Ti-Kwon-Leap

"Annoying the ignorant since 1961"

let me put it this way..once confronted with a kinife in a real situation..we could theorise all day long on what may work..but at that point i assure you..its one of the last situations you want to be!! one time i got into a fight with some undesirable individuals which led to one of them shooting a gun at me..as i felt one of the bullets whiz past my ear i realized that no amount of my training would have saved me..it was pure luck that the bullet didnt hit my skull..I dont think it would have been that different if he had came at me with a knife.."training" for such an attack with a rubber knife or what have you could not prepare you for the actual threat of someone who is determined to stab or slash you!! in "training" you get to make mistakes and "do it over" in reality one wrong move and youre in the obituaries column..again i have to go back to how easy it looks in the movies to counter against a knife wielding bad guy..in the reality..its very frightenng to realize that someone is determined to take your life and it only takes one wound on you to do so...

Javier l Rosario

instructor taekwondo/hapkido

under master Atef s Himaya

"whenever youre lazy enough not to train .someone, somewhere is training very hard to kick your *"

Could I handle a knife fight? Probably. Will I get cut? Guaranteed. Many who posted about the movies guys, are right. They are stuntmen, and it is a choreographic fight.

In the real world. The absolute best way to come out alive is walk away or use a ninja invisibilty trick to vanish.

However if I have no choice but to fight. I will fight and I WILL break his/her bones. Yeah I may need stitches/medical help. But, I am confident enough that I will come out alive.

Some say that their system/dojo don't teach knife defense till later in the training. Well this saddens me greatly. Too many students don't finish their training, for a variety of reasons. All too often these same students can think they take on he world. Their confidence is good but FOOLISH!!!

If you feel that you are not getting enough or proper knife/ gun defense training. Check out another school or (as we do) find supplemental training, that specifies in such training. Videos, books, cd-rom, etc.

Also, be sure to get lots, and lots of hours in training with a knife of varying sizes, and gun usage.

Not to toot my own horn. It sounds terrible! :razz:

But in my school, we teach knife/gun defense, at green belt. And at brown belt we do LIVE FIRE scenarios. We have qualified instructors/ and on occassions we have ex-police, or ex-military personnel to aid in our training/ teachings.

Live Free, Die Well,

MonkeyNinja

P.s. I seen the "Scorpion King" last night. It was totally COOL!! :kiss:

i learn basic knife defense but its unlikely that it would really help in a situation,

most knife attacks are impossible to defend against since 99 percent of the time the knife is concealed and you will be stabbed with you not even knowing

Brown Sash Hsing I/Lau Gar Kung Fu

Brown Belt San Shou

17 yr old

http://www.selfdefencehelp.co.uk