• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Who Feels Could Defend Against a Knife Attack?

Not just Yet... I don't feel too confortable dealing bare hand against a Knife or a gun.

I'll try to avoid the problem. If i can't.. then against a knife, i may try to find a stick or another weapon. against a gun.. i won't more.lol

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Being mugged with syringes and knives is quite common where i live. If someone pulls either on me they can have what ever they want!!! It's not worth it.

We play about with rubber knives and marker pens when training and you always get 'caught'. If you can survive that i guess you could probabley over power someone.

Bretty

We've done some knife defense before (and now, at my belt level it's a self-defense requirement! ack!), and I do NOT feel comfortable with it. I have no idea what to do, and I can never understand the self-defense techniques. They just don't make sense to me. I think it's pretty safe to say that I suck at it, and my only chance of survival would be to give the guy my money and ball up into my turtle shell.

Even if you are experienced at knife defense, saying you could "definitely handle it" is pretty naive. Like previous posters have said, you don't know how experienced the person is. There's also the element of surprise, and the fact that the person could be huge. Most importantly, though, is adrenaline stress. In class, you know someone isn't going to kill you. On the street, however, you freak out.

If you don't freak, good for you. You're well-trained.

However, there's a fine line between prepared and just downright ****y. If you think you're Superman and can take on anything, you're more likely to get hurt than if you just give in to their demands. Read "Victim of a McDojo" and you'll see what I mean.

True, while this person only THOUGHT he was well-trained...what do you think? You can never know how well-trained you are until it's applied in real life.

Except for me, 'cos I know I would die :razz:

1st dan & Asst. Instructor TKD 2000-2003

No matter the tune...if you can rock it, rock it hard.

Hmm....very good question. Guess that'll all depend on what the attacker wants from you. If it's my wallet then he/she can have it. But if it's for the shear fun of trying to cut you up for the he** of it, then it becomes a matter or survival and determination to live. In any case you will or will not sustain injury, just depends on the circumstances.

As far has being fortunate to have a gun, they say that 21' is a good distance to be when facing a knife weilding attacker. However, he/she can cover 21' in a matter of seconds running at you. How you would combat this closing of distance is using what is called a tactical L movement.

Which is basically moving off to your left or right in a continuous shuffle as you defend yourself by capping off your rounds.

Di'DaDeeeee!!!

Mind of Mencia

Knife attack. that isn't scary. but I always care ful, watch out where his pointing with the knife.

Kempo dude says: Stand up show me what you got, im black belter in kempo, im a Kempo champ. lets see who will win!

Another way to look at defending yourself against a knife attack is took look at the last time you sparred.

Did you get hit?

No imagine if the hand that hit you was holding a knife.

Could you have utilized you knife defense technique on it?

its made to look so simple in the movies..guy takes out a knife you just kick it out his hand and save the day...in reality..even a fool with no training can kill you easily..we recently had a muder here in which a trained cop..with a martial arts background..answered a knock on his door and was cowardly ambushed by the jealous ex boyfriend of the woman he was staying with he was stabbed above his left collar bone which struck an artery and he quickly bled out..in the movies he would have just pulled the knife out and fought off the bad guy..the human body is very fragile..a knife wound anywhere can kill you..doesnt just have to be in the torso..you can get stabbed or slashed a leg or arm and bleed to death ..if you can.. get out of there when threatned with a knife..or try to find something to keep the person away..a chair a belt..a garbage can..doesnt matter how long youve been training..in a real situation again even an untrained person can kill you..

Javier l Rosario

bayshore new york

instructor taekwondo/hapkido

"whenever youre lazy enough not to train .someone, somewhere is training very hard to kick your ass"

[ This Message was edited by: taezee on 2002-06-21 05:47 ]

Javier l Rosario

under master Atef s Himaya

"whenever youre lazy enough not to train .someone, somewhere is training very hard to kick your *"

I'm surprised no one's mentioned that there's simple blocks that can, in a couple quick motions block the knife and then disable the attacker.

They teach techniques in the military and in judo, and other arts.

In one move, you block with your arms crossed like a v, the attacker's arm falling into the v. From there you slide down their arm, maintaining their forward momentum, to grab the wrist and bring it up and over your shoulder. You then break their elbow by pulling their elbow down the wrong way over your shoulder. If you don't want to break it, you can just take the knife.

yes and it looks sooo beautiful when done for demonstrations!!..in the uncontrolled enviroment of a real confrintation things are different...I was an instructor in the military from 1987 to 1990..i teach now and still I say the best defense against a knife is to get out of there.or pick up something as a weapon to keep the knife wielder at bay!!!

Javier l Rosario

under master Atef s Himaya

"whenever youre lazy enough not to train .someone, somewhere is training very hard to kick your *"