• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

What am I doing wrong this time?

I wont be telling you what to do concerning your main problem but I do have something to tell you.

Do NOT spend your life attempting to satisfy your parents, doing only what they like simply to make THEM happy, because if that's what they want then I'm sorry to tell you that they didn't really make it their top priority to make YOU happy.

Wasting your time trying to answer your parents needs and being nothing but a weak minded person easily controlled by other's words and thoughts pretty much contradicts with everything karate and martial arts stand for.

They have to accept you for who you are, try to explain it to them, if they don't understand then keep on doing what you're doing and maybe someday they will, but do NOT quit martial arts just because your parents don't like it.

My mother most certainly does not like the fact that I come home after each practice with sore bleeding knuckles but she never tries to let me quit because she knows it's what I choose and it's simply unchangeable.

You have to implement that idea in your parents heads in order for them to understand you.

"If you always put limits on what you can do, physical or anything else, it'll spread over into the rest of your life. It'll spread over into your work, into your mortality, into your entire being. There are no limits. There are plateaus, but you must not stay there, you must go beyond them. If it kills you, it kills you."

Bruce Lee

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I never had any intention of quitting because of them. I understand what you're getting at and trust me, that's not the case at all. The case is that they thought I was doing too much of one thing so they asked me to do something else as well. After a few years I found something else I could do and according to them it's all I do and it's annoying to them. Even though there are several things I do.

I never had any intention of quitting because of them. I understand what you're getting at and trust me, that's not the case at all. The case is that they thought I was doing too much of one thing so they asked me to do something else as well. After a few years I found something else I could do and according to them it's all I do and it's annoying to them. Even though there are several things I do.

How is that annoying them? There is more to this than that, as I simply cannot see how that could annoy them.

"If you always put limits on what you can do, physical or anything else, it'll spread over into the rest of your life. It'll spread over into your work, into your mortality, into your entire being. There are no limits. There are plateaus, but you must not stay there, you must go beyond them. If it kills you, it kills you."

Bruce Lee

I wont be telling you what to do concerning your main problem but I do have something to tell you.

Do NOT spend your life attempting to satisfy your parents, doing only what they like simply to make THEM happy, because if that's what they want then I'm sorry to tell you that they didn't really make it their top priority to make YOU happy.

Wasting your time trying to answer your parents needs and being nothing but a weak minded person easily controlled by other's words and thoughts pretty much contradicts with everything karate and martial arts stand for.

They have to accept you for who you are, try to explain it to them, if they don't understand then keep on doing what you're doing and maybe someday they will, but do NOT quit martial arts just because your parents don't like it.

My mother most certainly does not like the fact that I come home after each practice with sore bleeding knuckles but she never tries to let me quit because she knows it's what I choose and it's simply unchangeable.

You have to implement that idea in your parents heads in order for them to understand you.

It is not necessarily a "weak-minded" person who tries to do things that make his/her parents happy. Obviously there will come times when we all do things that our parents will not be pleased with, and I am sure your parents are wise enough to let you make your own decisions and your own mistakes as well. Remember for the majority of us, our parents love us and only want what they think is best for us. I sense that kante may have some issues about being controlled, and seems to be rebellious, which is fine. But remember that rebellion just for the sake of it is not a good. As I suggested before, try explaining things to your parents, and invovling them into your martial arts and writting. You and your parents seem to be very devout, and this is great, maybe joining a christian martial arts association, making some contacts there and finding a christian dojo would be helpful.

"Not every tiger will pounce, but every tiger may!"

K.Mabon

United States Combat Martial Arts Association International

• 3 months later...

Hey! I'm in that kind of situation (with the small, middle-of-no-where town and the only friends I really enjoy being with living a distance away (85 k's...) My mother used to say the same thing until one day I pointed out (in a calm, respectful manner) That I could be out doing drugs or torturing small animals etc. (Not that I would actually do those things, I was just trying to get my point across! :wink: ) And now I don't hear anything of it! She actually encourages my training :D

The first person to call me mate gets a punch in the throat...