• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Well, here is a bizzare story from my school.

One of our students, who has only been in the class a few months, suddenly felt the call to fight in a mma match. Keep in mind, his striking skills are alright at best, he's only around 8th kyu or so.

So he began training, and started working out with some nearby grapplers. He seemed to be progressing alright.

Fight night comes along. He's fighting 3 5-minute rounds, and 15 seconds into the first, he's knocked down and loses by a TKO. He also had to get 4-5 stitches somewhere on his face.

So, I guess the moral of the lesson is: Wait until you're a great all around fighter before you get in the ring.

:karate:

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I think the important thing is having a fight manager that A) knows your skill level, and B) will schedule fights with those of your skill level. I think it is great that he wants to do that, but you have to go about it the right way.

Navy pilots have a saying for that - "your ego is writing checks your body can't cash"

Hehe, great saying

You suck-train harder.......................Don't block with your face

A good traveler has no fixed plans, and is not intent on arriving.

-Lao Tzu

• 3 weeks later...

This is not meant to be inflammatory or insulting, but is it possible that your brand of karate or whatever it is (I notice you said "kyu" for a rank) is inferior to boxing/muay thai? I don't know you from the next guy, so I assume nothing, but I have experienced a LOT of so-called traditional martial artists who may have trained for 10 years that can't hold a candle to a boxer with 2 years experience.