• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Sick and tired of people putting down kung fu....

The Kung Fu training I had was full contact without pads. Work on defenseive drills did not keep pace with the skill that people developed in offensive techniques, thus injuries were getting common before I quit to study Ninjutsu. Most nights were interesting as the general goal was to develop a demonstration team, but the group members liked sparring, so at least once a week they went at it with gusto. People trained as much outside of class as they did inside of class and figured out each other's favorite combinations so that they could defeat each other in sparring. Sparring really isn't my main area of interest, particularly when people end up developing bloody noses.

First Grandmaster - Montgomery Style Karate; 12 year Practitioner - Bujinkan Style Ninjutsu; Isshinryu, Judo, Mang Chaun Kung Fu, Kempo

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Kung-fu is very misunderstood, and people shouldn't juge untill they know the facts.

I think that there is no 1 style , and that to truly become a great martial artist and person you must take information from where ever you can.

• 2 weeks later...

I saw a sparring match today where one of the guys did Wing Chun Kun Fu and he mopped the floor with this guy... every time the guy tried to get close, the WC guy stopped him by kicking his knee and letting out like 10 fast punches.. later after the fight, I told him that he kicks to the knees could be dangerous when sparring.. he agreed.. his punches were like lightning!!

You must become more than just a man in the mind of your opponent. -Henri Ducard

I just mean that their technique of punching differs a lot from say a boxer or another martial artist. And I believe this technique does develop speedier punches although maybe not as powerful.

Ahh. I see.. :) do they have any "power" moves in Wing Chun?

You must become more than just a man in the mind of your opponent. -Henri Ducard

Well, what do you mean by "power" moves? I think they train for each of their techniques to have the most power that they can get into it. I think the amount of power you could get into a move, in any style, would mostly be a result of how well you can get it set up, with the proper opening.

Cung Le fights Kung Fu and he beat the snot out of Frank Shamrock this weekend. Kung Fu if trained for fighting is great!

"It is easier to find men who will volunteer to die, than to find those who

are willing to endure pain with patience."

"Lock em out or Knock em out"