• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Sick and tired of people putting down kung fu....

I am so sick and tired of people putting down kung fu... I hear it all the time that it doesnt help in a real situation..... I am not sure about everyones elses school but everything we learn, we learn the combat application to it. Before we move to a different form we have to do it normal speed, tai chi speed(really slow but controlled), and combat speed. We also have to break every single move down in the form and explain the combat application of it. If you dont learn the combat application of a form or kata you just learned a dance. I know kung fu moves somtimes look silly but there is combat application to it. A lot of people dont know that the moves are hidden within the forms so other people cant just watch and learn them. You have to have someone that actually knows what the form means and its application or its pretty much just a dance with kicks and punchs, the same for any style for that matter. I mean pretty much every style has origins in kung fu. So when people put down kung fu they are putting down their own style. I dont know one move that is in any style that isnt taught eventually in kung fu.... I also read that kung fu doesnt teach any ground/grappling. Our school starts teaching it at brown belt and its pretty intense and effective...

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thankyou my Dear justin for restoring honor to are great art.

like u said u have to actually have a good teacher and practice the applicatiions for fighting in order to be able to fight, u cant just up and start and be able to take out 20 guys, it takes hard work, heck thats what Kungfu meens ( hard work).

I have a good teacher, and he breaks are techniques down into drill sets, so that we can learn and master each part of are forms, before advancing.

i love kung-fu and plan to give it bake its great name one day.

you must learn different combinations of techniques down to your very soul and they must come without thinking when you finish with one technique, you must immediately go into another until you have attained your goal which is to destroy the enemy.

I think that you make some good points. However, there is just one that I would argue...the fact that all styles came from China. There just isn't enough evidence to support that. Chinese style may have had influence on Japanese and Korean styles, but not on styles in Europe or Africa, or in ancient Greece. Otherwise, I can see your points.

Yeah I should rephrase that, its had influence on all asian martial arts. Sorry about that.

No problem! :) That is why I threw that out there. I am kind of a patron of the Western Martial Arts, so I like to throw out information when I get the chance.

Welcome to the Forums! :karate:

I know what' you're saying Justin Treadway! I get the same thing all the time. Actually, because I currently study at a BJJ academy, many people asked me if I "switched styles" because chuan fa doesn't work. I am always sure to explain to them that it works just fine and I still practice it. I just happen to really like BJJ also.

I think most of the "doesn't work" stuff comes from watching MMA events. But they never stop to think that those are sporting events and no one who does just one style (Kung fu, Karate, or otherwise) ever fares well in MMA events anymore. The other problem is that Kung Fu arts tend to get a bad reputation from the fake chi masters that are out there. I've seen some real wackos claiming to do the impossible. Of course, it only works on their students. That's another story though.

Don't let the negativity get you down. Just keep doing what you like to do. Most nay sayers tend to be people who don't know what they're talking about anyway.

"It is impossible to make anything foolproof because fools are so ingenius."

There is a way it can help you in the street, if you train your neck in kung FU, you can get out of armlocks on your neck, If you train all your body parts to be as hard as steel, then your punches could be playing with death...

A drop of sweat spent in practice is a drop of blood saved in a battle.

A person who say it cannot be done should not interrupt the man doing it.

There is a way it can help you in the street, if you train your neck in kung FU, you can get out of armlocks on your neck, If you train all your body parts to be as hard as steel, then your punches could be playing with death...

I don't quite follow :-? Is this a philosophical or actual training statement? Please explain.

"It is impossible to make anything foolproof because fools are so ingenius."

I am so sick and tired of people putting down kung fu... I hear it all the time that it doesnt help in a real situation..... I am not sure about everyones elses school but everything we learn, we learn the combat application to it. Before we move to a different form we have to do it normal speed, tai chi speed(really slow but controlled), and combat speed. We also have to break every single move down in the form and explain the combat application of it. If you dont learn the combat application of a form or kata you just learned a dance. I know kung fu moves somtimes look silly but there is combat application to it. A lot of people dont know that the moves are hidden within the forms so other people cant just watch and learn them. You have to have someone that actually knows what the form means and its application or its pretty much just a dance with kicks and punchs, the same for any style for that matter. I mean pretty much every style has origins in kung fu. So when people put down kung fu they are putting down their own style. I dont know one move that is in any style that isnt taught eventually in kung fu.... I also read that kung fu doesnt teach any ground/grappling. Our school starts teaching it at brown belt and its pretty intense and effective...

It is advisable for all serious kung fu practitioners to take the time to explain, as best as possible, to the "none-believers", that kung fu is a fighting art. If they refuse to accept the facts then it is best to let go.

If their idea of fighting effectiveness is to build huge bodies and "mix" their martial arts so that they are able to trade blows until they can, skillfully? Or with luck? Land a blow and finish the fight then it is best to let them follow their tao. It may be that this approach works for them and of course it can be effective too.

Everyone has their path to follow. Us the kung fu guys will learn from our paths and believe me they, who put kung fu down, will learn from theirs. :D

Fighting arts that were not effective for fighting and selfdefense, never lasted long enough in martial arts history, to gain the Traditional Martial Arts - TMA - status.