Hapkido-Cougar

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Cool. Goju-ryu's pretty unique as a Karate style, having such a strong internal aspect. I once saw a guy doing a kata with deep breathing excercises interlaced. Apparently he was doing it wrong, because five moves into it he just keeled over and fell flat. Out like a light.

d-:-o-:-)-:-(-:-o-:-P

Yikes! That must have been Sanchin. I used to get light-headed when I started practicing it, so I can understand how that could happen to someone. I've read that there's some controversy over that kata as some people believe the breathing and muscle tension used can be damaging to your health over time. If I understand it right, this comes from people mistakenly restricting their breathing instead of carefully controlling it (fine line there, I bet).

I took Shotokan classes when I was very young, I wish I could remember more of it so I had a better understanding of the differences between the two styles.

Shotokan is more about the body mechanics, while Goju focuses on the ki, breathing, dynamic tension, etc. Both are great styles, in my opinion.

I practiced Sanchin my first time, and I had to sit out for the class.

If you guys want to see some really neat kata, look at some Shi-to Ryu kata. They are really awesome.

"Never hit a man while he's down; kick him, its easier"

Sensei Ron Bagley (My Sensei)

• 3 weeks later...
I would have to say that my favorite karate style is American Kenpo Karate, since I train in it. It has over 210 techniques(24 per belt), and realy goes into the physics and laws of motion. I am not saying it is the best, though! :cowboy:

I'd really be interested in doing some Shorin-Ryu, but schools are rare...

The controversy over Sanchin makes me hesitant to do Goju.

Certainly high temperature, low oxygen environments (eg overcrowded, stuffy, unventilated rooms) can make me hyperventilate and possibly pass out. It's happened once or twice to me. Hearing about a guy keeling over 5 steps into Sanchin doesn't enhance my confidence to do it.

KarateForums.com - Sempai

Any martiala art done wrong can hurt you. As I mentioned on another thread, Chen Tai Chi's 2nd form can make you cough up blood, while some of the more advanced Xingyi forms can kill you. BUT ONLY WHEN DONE INCORRECTLY. That is the key. Get a good instructor, learn carefully, and pay attention. Either that, or don't risk it.

I enjoy All Okinawan Shorin-Ryu Kenshin Kan Karate and Kobudo, because it is authentic and traditional. I like how it studies weapons also. :smile:

It's what you put into it...

1st kyu-Okinawa Shorin Ryu Matsumura Seito Federation