Hapkido-Cougar

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I enjoy researching the history of original Okinawan karate, how it evolved from Chinese kung-fu, and the different styles that developed in Okinawa, along with those that practised them.

Despite the myths about karate being developed to fight armed Japanese samurai, it is interesting ot note that the original Shuri-Te style was developed by the Peichin - basically soldiers of the Okinawan nobility. The early founders of the art - Sakugawa & Matsumura, were noble-born chiefs of the peichin, basically the Okinawan equivalent of the general of the armed forces, chief of security, and chief of police, all rolled into one.

These guys also all went to China to study martial arts.

Anyway...

The Taikudo I study is a totally Japanese style, however. It even claims to have some ju-jitsu influence. Sensei claims the kata we learn are totally different from other styles.

The first kata is called "tenino" but it is totally different from Funakoshi's "ten no".

Its with the feet and knees together, bent at the knees with hands spread in front of the face. Then, hands are lowered slowly to fists held at the side. Next step is face left, bring hands up with left hand on right shoulder, and step into a "left facing" backstance while performing a lower block with left arm.

Does this kata sound familiar to anyone?

Other arts I'm interested in are ju-jutsu, wing-chun, and some of the other "original" kung-fu arts like tiger, crane, monk fist, etc.

KarateForums.com - Sempai

I love Shi-to ryu ive been studing it for about 18 years now.......

Karate is not a sport , it is a way of life .

Sandan Motobu ha Shi-to ryu karate

Katsu ryu kempo

Ryukyu kobudo

'Kara' can mean 'empty' or 'China' in the Okinawan dialect, but Funakoshi had it officially declared 'empty-hand'. Anyway, my favorite is Shotokan. As far as any empty-hand fighting art, probably Baguazhang, but I guess that doesn't belong in the Karate section.

d-:-o-:-)-:-(-:-o-:-P

- "'Kara' can mean 'empty' or 'China' in the Okinawan dialect, but Funakoshi had it officially declared 'empty-hand'."

I'm pretty sure that it's "Kara" for both in Japanese. In Okinawan, the "China" is To or Tou (actually T'ang in Chinese, in reference to the dynasty, and the period when the Shaolin Temple was considered at its peak).

In old Okinawan texts, it's almost invariably referred to as Tote. (Not karate). Even Funakoshi did this in his early writings.

The switch to "karate" came with the Japanese pronunciation of the T'ang kanji. But with the change in pronunciation came the possibility of change in meaning, as the "Chinese" kara could be substituted with the "empty" kara.

So, originally the Okinawans practised Te (hand) - a striking art - a counterpoint to their native wrestling (quite unlike sumo). When they incorporated techniques from Kung-Fu, it became known as Tote (Chinese Hand). When this art went to Japan, it became known as Karate (also Chinese Hand). Then the meaning of the "kara" changed to "empty", which became the commonly accepted naming and meaning - empty hands.

Similar linguistic tricks can be played in English, eg a bar could mean an iron rod, or a place where alcoholic beverages are served.

Funakoshi's declaration would only be "official" in his own Shotokan school and the JKA.

KarateForums.com - Sempai

Same way a lot of people say Jujitsu. Jitsu supposedly means 'fruit'. The correct term, I hear, is Jujutsu.

Anyway, to stay on topic: Anyone here a big Goju-Ryu fan?

d-:-o-:-)-:-(-:-o-:-P