• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Am I too impatient?

I've been wondering about this many times.

I tend to ask questions a lot.

After almost every lesson, when people are going home, I have some questions I need answers to or to learn something new.

"Can you teach me this?" "Am I doing this right?" "Whats the next part of this form?" and so on.

I rarely seem contempt with what they teach in a single lesson, so I wait till the lesson is over and everyone is going home, to ask the teachers for more.

I am the only one I know who is like that.

Am I too impatient? Is this a bad or a good thing?

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There's nothing wrong with asking questions. Better to clarify something now than have to break a habit.

There's no place like 127.0.0.1

Speaking from an instructor point of view I wouldn't see a problem in this so long as you don't neglect your old and current techniques for new ones. There's nothing wrong with wanting more its that drive that will help you go farther in your art. I love to see students take an active role in their training by asking questions (intelligent ones) it shows me that they're not just going through the motions.

Tang Soo!

I've been wondering about this many times.

I tend to ask questions a lot.

After almost every lesson, when people are going home, I have some questions I need answers to or to learn something new.

"Can you teach me this?" "Am I doing this right?" "Whats the next part of this form?" and so on.

I rarely seem contempt with what they teach in a single lesson, so I wait till the lesson is over and everyone is going home, to ask the teachers for more.

I am the only one I know who is like that.

Am I too impatient? Is this a bad or a good thing?

I don’t think that makes you impatient, just keen to learn, and that can't be a bad thing.

Bear in mind that the study of your chosen art form is a lifelong thing, sometimes with no immediate or absolute answers. Also many things within martial arts can not be taught as much as "experienced" through on going study and practice. You can be shown how to do something but it can take many years of practice, to make the technique work for you and you can always do it better the next time.

"The difference between the possible and impossible is one's will"

"saya no uchi de katsu" - Victory in the scabbbard of the sword. (One must obtain victory while the sword is undrawn).

https://www.art-of-budo.com

Its better to ask questions than to go home not knowing and then practice wrong. It also shows that you are taking an active part in your learning so I say ask away! :D

"Everything has its beauty, but not everyone sees it." ~ Confucius

Well. Once I was asking when I would qualify as an advanced practitioner, I was told "When you stop asking questions all the time". But the teachers and some of the students in that school were morons and I quit that school after a while.

This interest in the martial art I study contributes to my relationship between me and my teacher I suppose. I have a way of making myself noticeable among the teachers with all these questions for sure. It just seems a bit unorthedox (and perhaps a bit annoying to some) since all the other students only rarely asks questions and I doing it all the time.

that means that you are either learning too quickly and getting bored or you definitely are too impatient and u get lost with ease.

which one are you?

<> Be humble, train hard, fight dirty

Sounds like you're just interested in what's next. I think it's pretty normal to be asking questions. Don't expect all of them to get answered right away. But it's good to ask. It will let the instructor know where you stand and that you care.

"It is impossible to make anything foolproof because fools are so ingenius."

Asking questions is a good thing. When you ask questions about techniques, either for application purposes, or how it is done, it shows that you are willing to learn, and like to learn. Just don't discouraged if they tell you to focus more on one thing when you ask to move onto the next. They will move you along if they fell you are ready. However, it never hurts to ask!

Well. Once I was asking when I would qualify as an advanced practitioner, I was told "When you stop asking questions all the time".

I don't agree with this viewpoint at all, and it was probably a good thing that you changed directions.

that means that you are either learning too quickly and getting bored or you definitely are too impatient and u get lost with ease.

which one are you?

I am not sure that this is necessarily the case, when people ask questions about things. When it comes to clarifying how something is done, I think it is important to ask questions, to make sure you do it the proper way. I think that it shows a healthy willingness to grow in the Martial Arts.