• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Self defence limits?

I often train in 'a main artillery' of techniques, ones that are drilled over and over so they can be quickly pulled out of the bag if necessary.

The main factor to take into consideration is effectiveness, then simplicity and finally consequences.

Not necessarily in that order, but you get the idea.

I think that here (UK) resonable force deems that any means necessary can be used to escape a situation if you truly believe your life to be under threat.

But should we still try to not use lethal techniques?

I don't think that we should try to use them but in a more controlled way, but rather employ a technique that can be used at full force that will prove effective without taking a life.

What are your opinions on how we defend ourselves in the eyes of the law?

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I just read an article last night by Bill Wallace about how he uses only 5 techniques. Basically for the reasons you outline. In the article he comments about fighting street fighting and to paraphrase him says that when you are in a fight for your life, you fight like it's a fight for your life.

I see a lot of these threads and they all try to analyze the legal consequences but few if any of them I think emphasize or even mention the fact that the aftermath of a confrontation is a legal crap shoot at best. And a crap shoot that you alone are likely to pay for monetarily win-or-lose (at least here in the US) or with your freedom should it go to court.

Here in the US martial arts training can be considered the use of a deadly weapon and so a defenders response could be judged according to the threat, in the less than clear, or outright biased, memories of witnesses.

Best advise, walk away at all costs.

Training a batter of techniques like that is a good idea, in my opinion. However, when it comes to the "deadly" techniques, I think it is important to be able to perform them, but in the end, you have to be justified when you use them.

As far as I know, the use of Martial Arts in self-defense is not considered to be the same as the use of a weapon. It would go down as battery, or possibly assault, in varying levels, depending on circumstances, etc.