• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I need some extreme help! I love taekwondo and i'm enjoying practicing it but its my DREAM to learn Taekkyon!

I need help! I don't think there is a school here in the Phoenix area in Arizona where i could go and learn it. So far i've practiced a tiny bit from videos but i reeeeeeeeally want someone to teach me. If anyone has any helpful information i would greatly appreciate it.

"If I tell you I'm good, you would probably think I'm boasting, but if I tell you I'm no good, you know I'm lying."

- Bruce Lee

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I would do a Google search to see what you can find. It isn't terribly popular in the states, from what I know, so it may be difficult. Good luck, though. :karate:

I doubt if Tae Kyon is even practiced in America. You would most likely have to go to Korea for that. Even then, Tae Kyon is considered more of an anachronism than a real martial art. As my GM stated once, Tae Kyon is what Koreans did 500 years ago. We don't use black powder muskets or wear knickers here anymore, unless it's to show what life was like 150 years ago.

There is no martial arts without philosophy.

I doubt if Tae Kyon is even practiced in America. You would most likely have to go to Korea for that. Even then, Tae Kyon is considered more of an anachronism than a real martial art. As my GM stated once, Tae Kyon is what Koreans did 500 years ago. We don't use black powder muskets or wear knickers here anymore, unless it's to show what life was like 150 years ago.

That is true but i learned a lot of the advanced kicks that 4th and 5th degrees do are from taekkyon, their kicking power was really awesome compared to even taekwondo and i believe it would give me an awesome advantage. I mean come on, Tony Jaa uses a traditional form of muay thai.

"If I tell you I'm good, you would probably think I'm boasting, but if I tell you I'm no good, you know I'm lying."

- Bruce Lee

You can develop your kicking power with different training methods, such as weight lifting and plyometric exercises. Incidentally, what kind of kicks are you talking about learning? Could you give some examples?

You can develop your kicking power with different training methods, such as weight lifting and plyometric exercises. Incidentally, what kind of kicks are you talking about learning? Could you give some examples?

I'm talking about the weird thrust kicks and their weird, kicking while rotating the knee backward. They also have awesome creepy combinations and a weird jump over the person and kicking them in the back of the head one!

- Bruce Lee

You possibly mean push kicks, which WTF fighters do, and the twist kick, which TKD currently practices (I'm not a big fan of it, since it is biomechanically uncomfortable). As far as jumping over someone and kicking them in the head, it looks exciting, but the real world application might be lacking.

Anyway, as I stated before on another thread, many of the kicks we associate with Tae Kyon live on in Tae Kwon Do. Primarily the twist kicks, circular kicks, jumping kicks, and jump spinning kicks. You think Japanese karate practices those? I've also seen footage of Tae Kyon practitioners. Trust me, modern TKD includes many of those techniques in its arsenal. That's why its kicking is second to none.

well i also practice taekwondo and its not like i don't know whats in it and what is different from what I have seen and leaned that is in Taekkyon.

- Bruce Lee

You possibly mean push kicks, which WTF fighters do, and the twist kick, which TKD currently practices (I'm not a big fan of it, since it is biomechanically uncomfortable).

Try doing the twist kick with the instep, as opposed to pulling the toes back. It works very nice this way, and it helps when it is done lower.