• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

the basic uke blocks - are they of any real use?

NeilT

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Anyone care to enlighten me?

Hi Neil

IMO all the basic movements (the strikes as well as the blocks) all just express principles of power generation. They can be used in different ways - to block perhaps yes, but also to strike, to choke, to lock, to throw. Too few karate people understand this. Even those that have had their eyes opened often still insist on repeating some of the ritualistic practices of their earlier training (eg. keeping the hand on the hip when its not doing anything useful).

Consider this to get you thinking about it. Start from the premise that whenever you chamber your fist at your hip you've actually got hold of the opponent with that hand (often, but not always, by grabbing his wrist). Now what would you do with the movement the other hand is doing?

Mike

Thanks for all the replies - much appreciated.

Dont get me wrong, I'm not becoming disillusioned with the art, or lost my love of it (actually, quite the opposite) just need to try and get my head around some of the basic moves and work out whether, as I said they are of any real use 'as they stand'. Age Uke is probably a poor example for me to use, as clearly its useful in the right situation, but look more at the standard 'uchi uke'

In one step sparring, these defenses work very well, but this is with the foresight of what attack is coming in - i.e. you know that Age Uke is required as a jodan punch is incoming. Just a case then of getting the timing right, which I seem to be pretty good at. I just can't relate these basic blocks to free fighting and hence any other situation that requires a freedom of defence - i.e. a street attack when fists are coming in thick and fast.

I believe our club has an excellent Sensie -I've studied Wado, Shotokan, Muay Thai and Lau Gar Kung Fu years ago, and my current sensei is at least as good as any of my past instructors, if not better so its not down to the teaching method.

The theory of these defenses being attacks / holds as well as blocks is something i'll read more on I think.

Also, I'm sure as I progress, I'll get a better understanding.

Thanks for the replies all - as I said before - much appreciated.

Neil

1st Dan Black Belt Traditional Shotokan Karate

if it doesen't work don't blame the system ,the problem is not with the traditionl art

Ive heard that a few times before. :D

as someone once said ,if that piano doesen't sound as good when you play it ,don't blame the piano !

never give up !

. Age Uke is probably a poor example for me to use, as clearly its useful in the right situation, but look more at the standard 'uchi uke'

In one step sparring, these defenses work very well, but this is with the foresight of what attack is coming in - i.e. you know that Age Uke is required as a jodan punch is incoming. Just a case then of getting the timing right, which I seem to be pretty good at. I just can't relate these basic blocks to free fighting and hence any other situation that requires a freedom of defence - i.e. a street attack when fists are coming in thick and fast.

Thanks for the replies all - as I said before - much appreciated.

Neil

when in kihon kumte you become efficient enough to block a fast and powerfull chudan punch to your mid section with soto uke or uchi uke

then lateron in your career you would adopt the same principal to deflect and block in free style ,it may not look exactly like the basic form but the fundementals are the same .

when you look at two senior dan grades sparring it is hard to tell if they are actualy doing karate or anyother fighting form ,they don't look any diferrent but fundementals are the same as the baisc forms .

there is no short cut ,the body has to go through the basic forms and fundementals to grasp .

never give up !

Neil ,

one thing that is so important to remember and I like to emphasise on that :

when pratcicing kihon kumite ,defender and attacker should both work with lot of awareness (zanshin ) and go with full speed and power to try and hit the opponent this is the only way that both attacker and defender can improve and learn these techniques to be effective.

In the beginning I had many problems with them and sometimes got very disapointed with myself ,but gradualy by watching my sensei and other seniors and being constantly hit by them and I got better and better .

by looking at my own faults and try to rectify them ,one that come to mind ... why am I so slow going backwards eventhough I know the attack is a basic one step jodan punch ?! why my block is not fast enough to block the punch ?

they could be frustrating questions but by perseverance and looking for those answers it will come ..

it is a good idea to let your partner know your intentions are to improve yours and his technique and you are actualy helping him by trying to land your punch or kick on him ,this is the only way to improve your techniques to become effective.

never give up !

I just can't relate these basic blocks to free fighting and hence any other situation that requires a freedom of defence - i.e. a street attack when fists are coming in thick and fast.

Indeed! That's because the basic karate method of practice usually does nothing whatsoever to stop the second (or third) punch coming. But that's what you've got to do in reality. You've got to move in, break the attacker's posture and stifle his movements. The basic blocks can help you do this, but not in the way they're usually practiced.

Mike

https://www.headingleykarate.org

Practical Karate for Self-Defence

Would you consider writing a book or anything with only Capital letters?

The basic blocks are just that,basic.They are intended to teach you full movement and full utilization of body power.most of them need adaption to work with a non compliant partner.

THE TRUE ESSENCE OF THE MARTIAL WAY CAN BE REALISED ONLY THROUGH EXPIRIENCE;KNOWING THIS NEVER FEAR ITS DEMANDS.

Would you consider writing a book or anything with only Capital letters?

The basic blocks are just that,basic.They are intended to teach you full movement and full utilization of body power.most of them need adaption to work with a non compliant partner.

To continue with your analogy... Do people spend 3 years writing only in capitals before they are allowed to use lowercase letters?

Its the same with combat. Why spend 3 years doing blocks that need to be modified to actually be of any use? Sure you learn body movement etc, but practice the actual technique how it will be used and the lessons learnt will be much more applicable.

An effective block delivered to the right spot really hurts, and can be quite a deterrent to further attacks! In my view, they work.

"They can because they think they can." - School Motto.

(Shodan 11th Oct 08)

When training in basic blocks, I don't necessarily think that if you were to use them in a self defence situation that they are going to be text book perfect. I believe that they are primarily to teach you move your arms in the right way, and to use and train the right muscles.

Some blocks, if not all are directly applicable however, as they are.

An average haymaker can be blocked with a rising head level block, or a high kake uke for example.