• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

What's the word on rebreakable boards

Cybren

We have the whole set of these at my school and as I was looking up ones to buy myself I notice that they're pretty expensive. Shopping around I found a few cheaper ones these for example. (that site has the century ones cheaper too, actually). Is there any word on the general quality of these? how many breaks could I expect to get out of them?

But I mean, $60 a board? I could get 40 boards for that!

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I had never seen the curved ones. That is different.

As for the others, it really is preference. If you don't like vacuuming up wood splinters after a testing, then go with the rebreakables. However, I have found that the rebreakables require you to be more accurate when targeting your techniques. The other question is how long will they last before they start to give from being put back together so much?

Personally, I like the good old wood boards. More inconsistency, and better challenge, and much more rewarding when you hear that wood snap (in my opinion).

My dojang has those Century boards and according to my instructor the the black is supposed to be the hardest however he said the brown is "just crazy". I'm not saying they are less consistent than wood, just be aware they may not be consistent even as they are supposed to be to each other.

I think the curved ones may actually be replacements for tiles...

Our dojang has the century boards and I really don't like them. They just feel "springy" to me.

Personally, I like these type:

http://www.black-eagle.co.uk/kwon-kalyeo-breaking-boards-p-728.html

You can get them with and without the foam.

The benefits of rebreakable boards are:

- that they are consistent whereas wooden boards can be really sappy or dry or the grain can affect the difficulty

- they are less mess and can be cheaper, depending on how much breaking you do, and

- they help you perfect your aim because you have to hit the centre or they just dont break.

It all depends though because some require a fixed holder rather than a person to break properly.

"Everything has its beauty, but not everyone sees it." ~ Confucius

i am looking for ones for my school as well, i know i have borrowed the proforce rebreakables from another instructor and they are good, but a pain in the butt to put back together. but they are good for not picking up splinters, making you be more accurate and quick, but the only one con i found was they do get easier as time goes on, not hugely but alittle nonetheless but thats after like 25 breaks or so. hope this helps, and if you find any ones for a decent price, let me know!

in tang soo,

k.chuilli

K.Chuilli

2nd Dan, Instructor

Kyo Sah Nim

Moo Duk Kwan Tang Soo Do