• advertisement_alt

Taisho vs oi-tsuki

ARADOX

Taisho or oi-tsuki  

7 members have voted

1. 1. Taisho or oi-tsuki

• Taisho
    • Oi-tsuki

Which one? after I learned Jutte (shotokan) I seem to be preferring the palm strikes to the straight punch especially to the face what do you learned people think?

I wish I wish I hadn't killed that fish

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

An open palm to the face has a bigger chance of hurting your wrist than a vertical or 3/4 punch to the face.

Have a look at how much the wrist bends forward and backward when the hand is open compared to when the hand is closed.

One's not better than the other- they are a screw driver and a wrench- just different tools.

you get a harder hit with a punch, but, at about shoulder level or above, the palm-heel is at a good angle, so feeling more comfortable using it to the face makes sense if that is what you are used to.

Also, less chance of your knuckles getting bloody with their nose or mouth and getting their diseases- just a thought.

You suck-train harder.......................Don't block with your face

A good traveler has no fixed plans, and is not intent on arriving.

-Lao Tzu

I agree with both. Depends on the situation at the time, however, speaking strictly from a self-defense perspective, I tend to teach kids palm strike as a softening technique rather than punch due to the simplicity of the palm over the fist.

8)

"A Black Belt is only the beginning."

Heidi-A student of the arts

Tae Kwon Do,Shotokan,Ju Jitsu,Modern Arnis

http://the100info.tumblr.com/

One's not better than the other- they are a screw driver and a wrench- just different tools.

:o Awesome analogy :o , I'll keep that in mind from now on, when deciding on movements, honestly, genious, thank you :)

I wish I wish I hadn't killed that fish

Palm hand strike is a devastating technique to the face ,it depends how it is delivered .

there is less chance of injury as the soft part of the hand delivers the blow to the face , in self defence it is much more useful .

if it is delivered correctly there is no chance of injuy to the wrist .

never give up !

I have heard stories of knuckles being broken when punching to the head. Target selection can determine tool selection.

I agree 100%. There is no "one-size fits all" technique that will be best for every part of the body. When it comes to striking above shoulder level, palm offers a much safer option and a number of follow on techniques that can flow straight from the strike.

There is a topic along similar lines that can be found here:

http://www.karateforums.com/punch-or-palm-vt30090.html