• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Student "busted" back to white belt

Some people believe that rank in Karate school actually means anything. The instructor can take the student's belt, but he can't take away what was learned.

This is true. However, if the student feels proud about what he has learned and accomplished, and then does something to have his rank stripped, hopefully the integrity would kick in for him to realize that he should change his attitude, and thus fix the problem.

Kind of like the Samurai/Ronin paradigm.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Some people believe that rank in Karate school actually means anything. The instructor can take the student's belt, but he can't take away what was learned.

A person with that attitude is probably never going to have to be busted down to white.

There's no place like 127.0.0.1

A person with that attitude is probably never going to have to be busted down to white.

Meaning?

Welcome to McDojo's! One supersize blackbelt coming right up sir!

At Mcdojo's, your ability to succeed is only limited by the size of your wallet, and we back that up in writing!

I think he means that a student with the appropriate respect towards rank is less likely to do something to jepoardize it.

In the case I refer to, the kid refused to change his behavior with less drastic corrective measures, and since his behavior wasn't truly bad, just inappropriate and disruptive, the instructor chose severe sacntions - aka being "busted" to white - rather than dismissal. Call it giving the kid one last chance, if you want to.

what goes around, comes around

I've never busted a kid down belt levels, but I have refused to allow some to advance. Seeing their classmates "catch up" to them and some pass them seems to work. I've always discussed it with the parents first and so far they have backed me.

One time I had a father ask me not to let his 13year test for Jr. BB because of his behavior at home and school. Watching his 12 year old sister be awarded hers and him sitting on the sidelines shaped him up pretty fast. About 8 months later, when another JR. test was slated, the father agreed the boy was ready. That experience showed the other students that how you act outside of the dojo is just as important as how you act while in it.

Until you take the risk of getting hurt, you can't heal.

I think he means that a student with the appropriate respect towards rank is less likely to do something to jepoardize it.

On the money. :)

There's no place like 127.0.0.1

well, if all he did was talk out of place or something like that, making hoim repeat his training doesnt really fix the problem - unless he ammended himself

demoting of rank would be good for someone who is way too proud of what he has accomplished so far.

but if it worked, even better!

I would have made him spend a couple of classes without talking at all, or pushups or whatever other nice exercise(in very large quantities) every time he got out of line. That ususally helps me straigthen them out.

<> Be humble, train hard, fight dirty

our instructor has a similar thing, except his is about if you use your martial arts to initiate fights...

If he finds out that you have been fighting people because of your martial arts (not in self defence, but just picking fights) he will instantly bring you back to white belt, you can do that or quit...

It happened to two of the Brown belts... barely a week from their blackbelt test they were demoted back to white... they left the dojo, but i heard the might be coming back (after being gone for about 7 or 8 years)

Brown belt... win trophies... grade... lose trophies... so much fun

if you know your material, worst case scenario, you get bored, it is not punishment enough for someone to repeat what they already know- specially since you should always practice basics anyway.

<> Be humble, train hard, fight dirty

if you know your material, worst case scenario, you get bored, it is not punishment enough for someone to repeat what they already know- specially since you should always practice basics anyway.

Keyword SHOULD i know tons of students who have made it without practising a day in their lives... i don't know how they do it (they obviously dont get their blacks but they get high up) but if you really wanted to get down to it you could find a bazillion flaws in their technique..

and as for the repetition.. yes it is.. once you're demoted your instructor won't grade you on skill anymore... he will grade you on, time spent training, respect shown in dojo.. etc..

The embarrasment and loss of respect from your instructor is a harsh punishment for someone who is passionate about the martial arts (some people just dont know how to act, you can be passionate and break rules) They will push themselves to climb back to their original rank in hopes of keeping their dignity.

Brown belt... win trophies... grade... lose trophies... so much fun