• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Getting good at Jiu-Jitsu - help!

Hi folks

I started doing Japanese Jiu-Jitsu shortly before Christmas last year, and I've been along to about 7 lessons so far. I had a break from February this year until last night, due to a major confidence crisis and a bout of depression. Basically I just stopped going because I felt like I wasn't getting anywhere and wasn't any good at it...

I find the moves really complicated, and by the next day after the lesson, I'm trying to remember what I was taught the night before.

Thing is, I really want to get good at it, hence me starting up again. How did you guys fare when you first started? Any pointers or advice for a Jitsu wannabe newbie. I love this art and the moves are awesome, but I'm struggling to get into it at the moment. Does there come a point where it all starts to fall into place?

Probably doesn't help but my co-ordination is a bit rubbish at times as well!

Advice and inspiration would be greatly appreciated right now!

Cheers

:)

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

It takes time to get the stuff down well. Ju jitsu is very technical, hence the complicated feel. However, once you create the proper habits, by training consistently, it begins to feel much more natural.

Good luck with the training.

"It is impossible to make anything foolproof because fools are so ingenius."

Don't give up you won't get better by taking breaks. Depression is tough. I get depressed and fursterated all the time. You get moments where you feel your improving and learning alot and feel on top of the world, other times you feel like your not progressing at all. You really are it just take time and effort.

Here are some helpful hints.

-Bring a note book to class (EVERY CLASS)

You will get Ideas and and learn new stuff and forget it later on. So make sure you bring a note book.

Log in what you feel your doing good on and what techniues and attributes you need to work on.

Log in the new techniques that you learn as well the key details that make them work. Also log in corrections your instructor gives you on your technique that way you can remember on what to improve.

If you do sparring or resistance training with your parneters log in what you get caught in, throws, submissions, ect... that your opponent does and who that opponent is. This way you can track where your weak and where your parnters are strong.

If you got time and if your instructor can work with you. Talk to your instructor and put in some private lessons. Make sure to bring your note book and a log in time.

You might be filling the pages up quickly so you might want to transfer that to microsoft word to help you track it better.

Well I hope these ideas help you out in your training. Just remember alot of people train get frusterated and quit. I have and many others if not all. Have highs and lows with there martial arts training. DON'T GIVE UP! Keep training and you WILL IMPROVE. Practice is the key. So write down what you learn and practice on your off time when your not at the dojo training.

Good Training to you.

Thanks for the suggestions everyone - some wise words there. I'm definitely not giving up this time - am sticking with it through the good and the bad! Will let you know how I get on.

Cheers

:karate:

I try to visualize the techniques, I find that helps. At the same time, I do realise that at the moment, I am not as flexible, co-ordinated, or as used to the processing and assimilation of instructions and general movements as my classmates (I just moved up a class) so I am not too annoyed with myself for not being able to front sweep - I've never been able to back roll in my life, so I know it will take some work.

Really, seven lessons is very very few. Do you remember what you were like after your first seven Shotokan lessons?

I don't know about a "moment where it all falls into place" but it will gradually get easier and easier. You might experience such moments with individual techniques - though, in truth, it will more likely be a gradual approach toward the correct technique - but probably not the whole art.

I'm trying to work with the attitude that I progress on nobody's timetable but my own. I will get that black belt, even if it takes me until I'm the age my instructor is now, and he's Helio Gracie's age! :D

Battling biomechanical dyslexia since 2007

I'm trying to work with the attitude that I progress on nobody's timetable but my own. I will get that black belt, even if it takes me until I'm the age my instructor is now, and he's Helio Gracie's age! :D

That is a great attitude to have. The Martial Arts journey is our own, and we should enjoy the view along the way, instead of worring about how fast we get there. I finally found that Bruce Lee quote I was looking for:

"In every passionate pursuit, the pursuit counts more than the object pursued."