• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Sparring tips/tactics that you use?

One thing (which is hard because I can't make full contact to the body and none to the head, also nothing to the back or below the belt, knees or something) is that when someone comes in to attcak I parry and quickly come in with a flurry of punches and kicks. Also, I could just be aggresive (this scares most of my opponents).

Those whose strength is not enough give up half way. You are now limiting yourself.-Confucius

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

you basically have it... it all depends on your belt level.. and the amount of control you have...

if you can pull all of your strikes well you open up a much wider variety of attacks

Brown belt... win trophies... grade... lose trophies... so much fun

One thing I do (but you have to watch the time if its a timed match) is to just keep moving, only scoring the odd counter every now and again but making sure your opponent misses. Once your opponent is tired.. or just annoyed.. you keep it all coming in a long combo of attacks whilst trying to corner them. This'll only work on some people though.

"Everything has its beauty, but not everyone sees it." ~ Confucius

There's lots of tricks out there. If I'm facing someone and we're leading same side, sometimes I'll actually snatch their leading arm and pull it out of the way and go for the head shot. A little tug will set them off balance if they're not expecting it. I also try and go light for the initial portion of the match because a lot of people will go all out from the get go and wind up wearing themselves out in short order. Lastly, don't stop at one technique, even if you think it scored. Always follow up with more. I don't know your org's sparring system, but in ours, two or more half-point techniques in a row equals a full point.

There's no place like 127.0.0.1

• 1 month later...

I have a few:

• If someone is coming straight at you (insanely stupid but it happens) a nice swift front leg side kick is good (if spacing and timing are right you could try a thrusting back kick)

• Perhaps the most common mistake I see among the lower belts is not knowing when to keep fighting and when to step back; when you’re winning the exchange stay there and keep wining if you’re losing there’s no shame in disengaging and regrouping. “When they advance we retreat when they retreat we advance”- Mao Zedong

• Circle around too often people advance straight in and retreat straight out; this is just asking for a good jamming technique in the chest. If instead you circle in and circle out you reduce your chances of being hit while at the same time allowing you to attack on an angle. This is not to say, however, that if your getting your getting killed you can’t jump straight out, nor is it to say that if the opportunity arises you can’t give a fast skipping kick.

The biggest cannon in the world is of no use against a skilled sniper. -Mao

For point sparring: I use light counters and if I attack I lead in with kicks. The range usually throws people off.

For full contact: I do whatever I can whenever it's appropriate.

2 things to keep in mind.

1. Do what you do well. If its kicking, punching, countering etc. Fight your fight if you can.

2. Do what they do bad. If they are slow be fast, if they like one leg over the other circle away from it.

Make them change to beat your best with their second best.. If they can beat you with their 2nd best stuff you need to train more.

(General George S. Patton Jr.) "It's the unconquerable soul of man, and not the nature of the weapon he uses, that ensures victory."

• 2 years later...

I use repetition feints. Its when you continually attack with a similar move then when you feint to do the move again, you hit them with a different move and they are usually open afterwords

I am not a fighter, I am a guardian.

• 4 weeks later...