• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Blocking and parrying in combat

I don't think that it is necessary to spend many, many years learning a more complex blocking system to use in combat, when you can be just as successful with more simple techniques.

Adding complexity doesn't necessarily mean something is being made better. Also, I am not saying that complex systems cannot be useful or successful. However, just because something is simple, doesn't mean it can't be a useful, and enriched, system.

I agree 100%. The simple techniques are often the ones that are going to serve you best in self defense situations. Especially when it comes to defensive techniques because unless you are a mind reader, you will have a split second to react to whatever your opponent throws at you. That really doesnt leave you enough time to process whats coming at you and execute a complex response.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am not good at boxing, so i dont try to box my opponent.

I always use parrys and blocks combined with footwork to move to a better angle for a counter-attack.

you cant dodge all attacks, you know :P

<> Be humble, train hard, fight dirty

I don't think that it is necessary to spend many, many years learning a more complex blocking system to use in combat, when you can be just as successful with more simple techniques.

Agreed. BUT, in the long term the more complex systems give you more options, that is, if one practises them diligently and longterm so that they become second nature.

Also, parrying does exist in karate and kung fu as well. The more "complex" blocks can be used not just to stop a blow but also to lock and/or break limbs, this means more options.

Studying a more complex system such as karate or kung fu, as opposed to a simpler system such as boxing, will give you more attack options as well - locks, kicks, takedowns etc. - as mentioned in my previous post.

Adding complexity doesn't necessarily mean something is being made better. Also, I am not saying that complex systems cannot be useful or successful. However, just because something is simple, doesn't mean it can't be a useful, and enriched, system.

There is no denying that. However, as far as karate and kung fu are concerned and this is MY belief that complexity makes these arts better, ONLY WHEN the art is trained correctly and for the required amount of time - longterm.

Fighting arts that were not effective for fighting and selfdefense, never lasted long enough in martial arts history, to gain the Traditional Martial Arts - TMA - status.

Also, parrying does exist in karate and kung fu as well. The more "complex" blocks can be used not just to stop a blow but also to lock and/or break limbs, this means more options.

The problem is that action is much faster than reaction. In any situation where attack and defense is involved, the person doing the defense will always be reacting. Keeping this in mind, it is not logical to try and defeat something that is already going to moving at you before you start to move with a fine motor complex skill. Thats why you never see people performing limb breaks and locks off strikes in any full contact arts where they actually have to deal with real energy all the time.

The problem is that action is much faster than reaction. In any situation where attack and defense is involved, the person doing the defense will always be reacting. Keeping this in mind, it is not logical to try and defeat something that is already going to moving at you before you start to move with a fine motor complex skill. Thats why you never see people performing limb breaks and locks off strikes in any full contact arts where they actually have to deal with real energy all the time.

no, the fact that most full contact practitioners never develop the proper techniques ultimately renders most of them "boxers", brawlers,"kickboxers" and wrestlers.

however u can use those "hard to do" techniques if you know how to train for them.

no, the fact that most full contact practitioners never develop the proper techniques ultimately renders most of them "boxers", brawlers,"kickboxers" and wrestlers.

This doesn't mean that they are ineffective. Fighting isn't pretty; it is nasty, ugly, and painful.

There are may arguements that complexity can add to your options. There are also just as many stories of those who only train a few techniques, and then can apply them to an infinite number of scenarios. Not everyone is going to be able to have a "lifetime" to master techniques, or want to. I think it is great for those that do, though.

"Proper techniques" according to who? The techniques these people use are the ones that work. Regardless of what they look like or how hard they are to do, there are effective in achieving their goal. Start adding realistic pressure, randomness and resistance from the opponent and all of a sudden those complex techniques arnt all their cracked up to be.

What I am saying is not that they are totally innefective, but i can use other techniques that require less effort or will get me a higher chance of not getting hurt while applying them.(btw, i practice in full contact too, and i dont crack under pressure, i can aply what ive trained for)

As I stated before parrying does exist in karate and therefore it is an option. "Complex" blockes are sometimes complex for people who have not trained them to the point of making them second nature.

Some of the "complex" blocks are strikes in themselves, I suppose that is one of the reasons that they are deemed "complex".

If we don't see limb breaks off strikes in full contact arts, then maybe it is because in striking art competitions such as boxing and kick boxing limb breakes are not allowed.

As far as NHB competitions are concerned, I don't think they bother to train "complex" techniques, as these take a long time to master and are not practical for those athletes who are (making money) in cage fighting.

Fighting arts that were not effective for fighting and selfdefense, never lasted long enough in martial arts history, to gain the Traditional Martial Arts - TMA - status.

Competition MMA are strong and fast, however, if they took the time to develop more complex moves, they would be able to reach higher levels of effectivity.

however, they cant take 10 years to learn a martial art because most of them know how much time they would "lose"(time is money) if they did.