• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Blocking and parrying in combat

I posted this link previously that features tony blauer providing a comparison between a fine and gross motor tactic. It can be found at:

http://www.crossfit.com/cf-info/excercise.html#Combatives

The clip is called "Intro to the Flinch, Tony Blauer..."

Whilst traditional blocks may at first glance seem to be gross motor skill in nature because they dont require alot of skill or strength etc to perform. When you look at the full picture they require quiet alot of timing to make work because you can either be late or early with them, and they are side specific has described in the clip.

could you explain the "side specific" part of blocks?

To my knowledge blocks can be done in any direction at all: an upwards or downwards block for a straight punch. an inside or outside block to get right in front of the attacker, or out of his way. an open handed block to stop or stun an attacker(or his limbs).

Karate Blocks are stated to be very versatile, because you only have a few which are then applied in a number of situations, not just one.

In Kung Fu, Wing Chun, one of the best blocking there is(i dare say, in the world) has a lot of different blocks which are constantly trained for flinch reaction time. You cant think of the block or the opponent hits you, you just do any of the blocks.

Karate isnt as fast as Wing Chun, but it compensates on strength where it lacks speed.

<> Be humble, train hard, fight dirty

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thats why its far more practical to be aware that the a-dump will occur and prepare for that rather than attempt to by-pass it,

Far more practical for whom? Each one of us has a different definition of practical. If you have time on your hands and are willing to learn a higher level art that you can use effectively until your old age (which is when most of us at our most vulnerable to violent attacks), then it may be far more practical to study an art such as Tai Chi, Hsing I, etc.

However, if one wants relatively quick results, then an external martial art is more suitable.

which is near impossible unless you have been involved in so many life threatening situations and survived that you no longer fear such things,

........Or unless you have gained a level of expertise in an internal style of kung fu.

So for the average joe who cant spend 5 days a week training trying to by-pass the a-dump is far from practical.

Unfortunately, training that aims to "live with" the adrenaline dump involves artificially inducing it in training, which is not a very healthy thing to do, not in the long term anyway.

This fact is also recognized by the chinese internal martial arts, which take the health aspects, both physical and mental, of their exponents very seriously.

I do see your point however about spending long periods of time training internal arts. It is not practical for the average Joe and thankfully there are the more external martial arts that are more practical to learn for shorter term results.

Internal Chinese martial arts are more complex by design and offer more long term benefits, hence the longer time periods required to master them.

Fighting arts that were not effective for fighting and selfdefense, never lasted long enough in martial arts history, to gain the Traditional Martial Arts - TMA - status.

Realwingchun a lot of people don't understand us because the only kung fu they know is what they see on videos and tv. There is so much in our style that i can't ever master it all. However, there are some styles that can be mastered in 10-15 years.

The term mastery, I have mentioned in the past, is fairly ambiguous.

As far as Chinese arts having more to offer in the long term than other styles, I don't think is necessarily true. I think many other styles offer just as much, for just as long. I don't think there is any hard evidence to prove that there are more old Chinese-stylists than there are old Japanese-stylists, Korean-stylists, Okinawan-stylists, etc. Helio Gracie still rolls.

i think its safe to say not every style has 80-90 year olds practicing the arts.

China has elderly people performing their kung fu well into their80s and 90s.

I havent seen any practitioners(meaning various, not just one) from styles all over the world that can still move well after 70.

Realwingchun a lot of people don't understand us because the only kung fu they know is what they see on videos and tv....

You forgot the people who have also "practiced" kung fu in McKwoons and think that they "know kung fu". The current situation regarding what information is out there on Chinese martial arts is rather unfortunate. :cry:

There is so much in our style that i can't ever master it all. However, there are some styles that can be mastered in 10-15 years.

I believe that all authentic kung fu styles have an internal side to them that makes their total mastery very difficult and I suppose that is what makes our kung fu lives so interesting. :)

Fighting arts that were not effective for fighting and selfdefense, never lasted long enough in martial arts history, to gain the Traditional Martial Arts - TMA - status.

I would say that of the majority of the not-so reputable chinese martial arts clubs out there would use the "not enough chi training" as an excuse for poor teaching. It's so convenient to blame techniques not working on something that is intangible, immeasurable and not even defined.

traditional chinese saying:

speak much, wrong much

I would say that of the majority of the not-so reputable chinese martial arts clubs out there would use the "not enough chi training" as an excuse for poor teaching. It's so convenient to blame techniques not working on something that is intangible, immeasurable and not even defined.

That is something that we do not worry about in our school. If your technique doesn't work or look right, then you need more reps.

That is something that we do not worry about in our school. If your technique doesn't work or look right, then you need more reps.

happens with all styles.

the different schools have different stories. you should see the differences in our schools :P