• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

MMA : STRIKING AND GRAPPLING when training

Hey..... I wonder how you do you use your training time.....

At my gym , we do something like 70 percent grappling , and 30 strinking average .We put A LOT more attention in grappling always , because is the school attitude in mma.

Our head instructor teachs much more grappling ( yeah , more ) to the new guys with no previus background on striking. New guys with w/o striking background usually dont learn to strike until they do know the basic moves of ground fighting and takedowns.

How do ya split the training ?

Depends on the day.

We typically work boxing and clinch on one day, and then clinch and ground on another.

We try to split our training time equally among the three.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thats true , you should always mix up the days. This gives the body time to recover and makes an overall stronger body.

I think that there is no 1 style , and that to truly become a great martial artist and person you must take information from where ever you can.

When I get to train...100% grappling and 0% striking. I might be a bit unbalanced in my life.

Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.

~Theodore Roosevelt

Yea you would become very unblanced.

I think that there is no 1 style , and that to truly become a great martial artist and person you must take information from where ever you can.

A good book to check is BJ Penn's MMA book of knowledge. It shows his style of blending strikes with grappling. I just got a month ago. It is really good. Shows how he blends in his strikes to set up his take down.

I just wanted to recommend it. I usually do one or the other in training. However seems to be adjustments have to be made when you do both, so they flow together, so they compliment each other better.

BJ is awesome.

"It is easier to find men who will volunteer to die, than to find those who

are willing to endure pain with patience."

"Lock em out or Knock em out"

Bj's book is one of the better ones out there. Better than the Gracie release concerning MMA. There is some transitional work and need to see how to change things up when both striking and grappling are an issue to contend with. That seperation is something that sometimes takes a while to get over. Some people are very good at both aspects, but getting the switch to click over in their heads can take a long time. It's like they start the fight up right and everything is good. Then they get taken down, or put in clinch with the intention of it going down(always seemd to 'feel' different to me than someone wanting to work standing clinch) and their brain doesn't make the transition until sometime after they hit the mats. Once there, give them a few and you'll see them come back alive and work well.

As a secondary question, how many see the change in their ground game when you introduce striking on the ground as well? I know this may sound obvious, but it seems to put a little hurry in people and suddenly, having that top position becomes more important than it otherwise would have. At least that is the basic observation I have made about the difference.

Kisshu fushin, Oni te hotoke kokoro. A demon's hand, a saint's heart. -- Osensei Shoshin Nagamine

As a secondary question, how many see the change in their ground game when you introduce striking on the ground as well? I know this may sound obvious, but it seems to put a little hurry in people and suddenly, having that top position becomes more important than it otherwise would have. At least that is the basic observation I have made about the difference.

I think I understand what you are asking here. Many grapplers are trying to put a lock on when they get on top. However, when you start throwing blows in, I think it would tend to throw in a sense of urgency. Not sure, I am certain it could go either way, though.

You mention that the newer students get a lot more grappling work than striking work to start out. I have also seen that the new Modern Army Combatives training starts out with grappling as well. The first level is grappling, and then they move up to the striking and Thai style kicking. Just a trend I noticed.

Really? hmmm... I would think that it would be harder to do a throw actually??

but, I have a class for each now, Kodokan- Grappling.. Kenpo-Striking.. :)

You must become more than just a man in the mind of your opponent. -Henri Ducard