• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

MMA : STRIKING AND GRAPPLING when training

Hey..... I wonder how you do you use your training time.....

At my gym , we do something like 70 percent grappling , and 30 strinking average .We put A LOT more attention in grappling always , because is the school attitude in mma.

Our head instructor teachs much more grappling ( yeah , more ) to the new guys with no previus background on striking. New guys with w/o striking background usually dont learn to strike until they do know the basic moves of ground fighting and takedowns.

How do ya split the training ?

´´ The evil may win a round , but not the fight ´´

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Rainbow_Warrior,

As my standup and grappling classes are separate, 50/50, but in the combined beginner class, it was probably close to 70/30 or 60/40. I think that's about the right mix, because for most people striking is much more instinctive than grappling. Most people have punched something at some time, whether it was another person or an inanimate object. The most grappling most people have done is a crude headlock or a tackle.

Battling biomechanical dyslexia since 2007

Oh ,, you have 2 kind of classes.... How do you practice combinations or..avoiding puches followed by takedowns , etc ?

Oh ,, you have 2 kind of classes.... How do you practice combinations or..avoiding puches followed by takedowns , etc ?

The standup class includes that, it just stops short of actually grappling on the ground (which is where the BJJ class comes in).

Battling biomechanical dyslexia since 2007

´´ Leave your ego at the door ´´

I forgot that my first grappling class , but when being a 200 lbs guy , I was chocked by a 140 skinny advanced guy....I always remember that day :P

• 3 months later...

At the one I attend they have mauy thai classes and boxing classes, BJJ classes, nogi classes, MMA classes,

The BJJ and Nogi classes are set up to sub classes. so one day its technique class, next day sparring class, next day technique class, then sparring the next, so on and so forth. So they get a whole class of one or the other.

We probably do about 90 striking, 10 grappling in Kajukenbo

You suck-train harder.......................Don't block with your face

A good traveler has no fixed plans, and is not intent on arriving.

-Lao Tzu

You mention that the newer students get a lot more grappling work than striking work to start out. I have also seen that the new Modern Army Combatives training starts out with grappling as well. The first level is grappling, and then they move up to the striking and Thai style kicking. Just a trend I noticed.