• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Becoming an instructor

Which do you think is more important when deciding to teach?  

40 members have voted

1. 1. Which do you think is more important when deciding to teach?

• Skill
    • Other (please post about it)

Well basically, what I'm asking is what you need to be an instuctor. Not just an assistant, but like a full insructor who takes classes every week etc.

Is age more important or is skill?

Currently, within our organisation, you have to do a course and undergo an examination as well as have background checks and be CRB approved but without all the administration stuff what would you be looking for in a good instructor.

(I don't actually want to be one... I'm just curious to see what you all think)

"Everything has its beauty, but not everyone sees it." ~ Confucius

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Maturity is the most important thing. The person teaching should be able to handle adult issues. What if a student shows up drunk or high? Is the teacher able to handle a situation like that? Is the teacher able to handle students with disabilities?

Some of my best teachers weren't that skilled. Others were extremely skilled but couldn't teach well.

"It is impossible to make anything foolproof because fools are so ingenius."

Maturity isn't necessarily a result of age though. I think being skilled should include things such as teaching others and not just technical ability.

There's no place like 127.0.0.1

I chose other, and the reason is this: the most important thing you need to be an instructor is the ability to teach. All the skill in the world won't help you to transfer that knowledge to others. Experience is what will count the most, and that only comes with time and trying.

Thanks for the replies.

Well given that person X has an excellent teaching ability, how long or what sort of belt/grade level would you be expecting if you were to go and train under them?

"Everything has its beauty, but not everyone sees it." ~ Confucius

I agree with many of the posts.

Maturity and skill are both necessary.

Also I don't think that age has much to do with anything.

Also, bushido man- great point!

I've known some very mature and skilled martial artists who couldn't teach worth a crap.

You suck-train harder.......................Don't block with your face

A good traveler has no fixed plans, and is not intent on arriving.

-Lao Tzu

Thanks for the replies.

Well given that person X has an excellent teaching ability, how long or what sort of belt/grade level would you be expecting if you were to go and train under them?

I guess it depends on the system of martial art. In BJJ, it's not uncommon for an experienced blue belt to teach classes (about three years of training or so). Blue belt is only the second rank in the system. Of course, I would expect that person to be affiliated under a black belt and for the school to have access to that black belt on a regular (quarterly at minimum) basis.

In many other martial arts I think someone who's trained for two or three years could easily teach a beginners class or maybe even intermediate class (given the conditions you mentioned above). So if you had a 10 belt system with white being 1 and black being 10 I'd say belts 6 or 7 and above could begin to handle classes. That's a really rough estimate though.

"It is impossible to make anything foolproof because fools are so ingenius."

well as an instructor at my school you need to be very proactive and very involved. for example, i need to take a briefcase with me everywhere i go to fit all my paper work and things of that nature. so i would expect a full time instructor to be atleast a black belt, and intelligent, and just most importantly know how to teach. i have seen great martial artists be the WORST teachers. teaching is truly a gift, you need to be humble yet know how to use the power given you, you need to know when you must multi task and when to go one on one with them, when to be mean, when to let things slide. so its quite a feat being a full time instructor but personally all the ups and downs and angry moments are all worth it, i couldnt love what i do anymore. and along with the age thing, age matters to an extent because i have seen 16 year olds who could run a school for God's sake, but on the other hand i have seen 16 year olds that couldnt control one group of two white belts, so in my opinion it truly takes an incredible person to be a great instructor.

K.Chuilli

2nd Dan, Instructor

Kyo Sah Nim

Moo Duk Kwan Tang Soo Do

The most improtant aspect of a good instructor is his or her ability to impart their understanding of their system to their students. Skills fade, and my instructor (in his late 70's and suffering from parkinsons disease) can no longer do the physical techniques well, but has a wealth of knowledge that he shares with me. I don't think he could teach a beginner anymore, but for students with the basics, he is of tremendous value. Age could be a factor. A 16 yr old black belt is going to have a hard time teaching most adults, no matter how skilled he or she is. Maturity and wisdom come from experience!

"Not every tiger will pounce, but every tiger may!"

K.Mabon

United States Combat Martial Arts Association International

Maturity is definitely important, plus skill in martial arts AND skill in communication/leadership/motivation which means teaching!

I think it's hard for most people under 16 to have the kind of maturity to lead a class.