• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Sparring Stances

I was at a local TKD school the other day and while talking with the instructor discovered that his TKD organization taught their students to spar in a back stance (with the front foot pointing toward your opponent). I can understand using this stance within the confines of point sparing where strikes below the belt or to the knees may not be allowed, but from a street fight perspective it seems that one would not want use this stance because the knee might be a tempting target since force directed straight at it would more then likely hyper-extend it. I usually spar with my front foot at about a 45 degree angle from the centerline of my body.

I am curious about others' thoughts on sparring from a back stance.

Ed

Ed

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Funny thing...the school I attend pretty much teaches a back stance as the sparring stance, but I don't use it. It is too uncomfortable for me, and I take a more naturally balanced position, like a boxer would.

The back stance can be ok, though, because it keeps the body sideways and as a smaller target. Also, the front leg should only have about 30% body weight on it, making it easy to move.

But, as I said, I would not fight from that stance, either. Even in point fighting. Not to say others can't with success. Just not me.

my guess is that they expect most street fighters to end up swinging hooks and stuff. Some people also see deep backstances as a joke so they'll be loose and not really paying attention to you, but more to laughin at whoevers nearby to laugh with them...

with that you use the 70% of weight on your backleg and launch yourself forward releasing a devastating strike while ure going..

thats just my guess... personally i fight like bushido..

Brown belt... win trophies... grade... lose trophies... so much fun

I've found that most of the best fighters don't use a particular stance anyway. You teach beginners to use a specific stance just to build habits. However, as they advance, their fighting stance should be more adaptive. I agree with Bushido though, I prefer to show people to use a more balanced stance to begin with.

"It is impossible to make anything foolproof because fools are so ingenius."

Deeper stances=increased stability while decreasing mobility.

Taller stances=increased mobility while decreasing stability.

In the end, you have to find your happy medium.

Just curious, how long is everybody's stance when they fight? Mine isn't much different than a little longer than average step forward.

We've always been taught to take a back stance in the sort of ready/guard position before the fight begins. Most beginners keep to it throughout a fight whilst the more advanced develop their own stances. I use a similar stance to Bushido too... I just find it easier because I favour my arms over my legs.

"Everything has its beauty, but not everyone sees it." ~ Confucius

Bushido, I think use a modified front stance, I'm not sure exactly how to describe it. I'd say it's a regular two steps deep maybe. I can see how using a backstance could help. One guy I have fought used it and threw killer kicks from his front leg. I couldn't do it but he sure could.

External training without the training of the mind is nothing