• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Ankle weights

Xepher

I was just wondering how many of you have ankle weights? What weights do they come in? how much were they? and If you saw a definite improvement in your performance from using them? Thanks all :)

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I just starting using some ankle weights my wife got after knee surgery.

I love them. I do stretch kicks using cable pulleys at the gym but I found these to be much better. Much more range of motion and more realistic. I think it definitely improved my range.

Most are 10# each and most allow you remove weight. Cost $15-$40 depending on the materials. Beware of the ones that have plastic pouches filled with sand. Some advertise that they go up to 20# each.

I just started using the full 10#.

I have some and I really find they improve my leg strength. The ones I have are 1kg each and double up as wrist weights too (but they're too heavy for my arms). I think I paid about £5.00 for them. I always feel much lighter right after training in them but you have to watch it or you can over-extend and pull a muscle/ligament etc. Even just walking round the house in them helps to improve leg strength.

"Everything has its beauty, but not everyone sees it." ~ Confucius

I use them from time to time. Something to note, make sure you can move your ankles when you have them on. The first pair I got tended to slide down so I couldn't, and made practicing difficult.

There's no place like 127.0.0.1

You knwo..I always did wonder about weighted colthing and stuff... my frind(teacher guy >.<) just keeps telling me they mess you up big time *shrugs*

Strike first. 'Til then i will not fight you.

Everytime someone calls JKD a style, Bruce turns over.

Why do I love Bruce Lee? Not because he was an awesome martial artist- but because his train of thought overlapped with mine even before I knew about him.

Thank you karate forums, for introducing me to Bruce Lee

They can if you're not careful. It's easy to hyper-extend your body when you're using weights on your wrists and feet. On top of that, you have the momentum of the weights pulling on your limbs even further. I use light weights and only when I'm working on slow technique.

There's no place like 127.0.0.1

I use 5 lbs. ankle weights and go thru all my Kihon and Kata at about half speed and light on the power. Just enough to "feel the burn".

A punch should stay like a treasure in the sleeve. It should not be used indiscrimately.

Kyan Chotoku Sensei

i use ankle weights as well as weighted vests but i find the ankle weights help me out a ton. i have 5lb(each ankle) weights and they were about 15 bucks you dont need real expensive ones for them to work, cuz five lbs is five lbs, so good luck, happy training!

K.Chuilli

2nd Dan, Instructor

Kyo Sah Nim

Moo Duk Kwan Tang Soo Do