• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Clothes...........

Hi.... Maybe what I say seems stupid , but.

1) I use jeans many times , and use traditional ones ( I aint liket wide, or rapper jeans). THey are kinda tight... I cant kick very well with ´em. In fact I broke several pants playing with some friends after a bbq ( yeah , I am an Idiot).

2)When I work , sometimes I got to dress formal ( you know , tuxedo stuff) . THose formal pants are confortable for kicking , but their pockets arent really deep or tight...and I am afraid of losing my things when fighting (they can fall from my pocket)

3) I carry a backbag many times....It really decreases my skill to move , or rotate fast , and even to punch.

So , is possible to be battle ready in such conditions ?

´´ The evil may win a round , but not the fight ´´

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think if you know what your limitations are it will help. I was thinking about this the other day when trying on my grad dress. It is pretty tight so I would have a hard time throwing a fully extended punch. My legs however, are free to move and would be hidden by the dress. I could easly throw a low kick or move in close and throw a short punch. Since I know this, if perchance I need to fight, it won't be too much of a problem because I know the limitations.

Practice on a heavy bag, or just on air in street clothes and see what works and what doesn't. To me that's part of ma. In the jeans you might want to stick to punches and with the dress pants, knock them out with a kick and then pick up your things :lol: Just be aware of the limitations of your clothes and work with it. :)

External training without the training of the mind is nothing

1) I use jeans many times , and use traditional ones ( I aint liket wide, or rapper jeans). THey are kinda tight... I cant kick very well with ´em. In fact I broke several pants playing with some friends after a bbq ( yeah , I am an Idiot).

Just because you can't kick that well in them doesn't mean you can't do other techniques.(I've ripped pants practicing as well :D )

2)When I work , sometimes I got to dress formal ( you know , tuxedo stuff) . THose formal pants are confortable for kicking , but their pockets arent really deep or tight...and I am afraid of losing my things when fighting (they can fall from my pocket)

In a fight, things falling out of my pockets would probably be the last thing on my mind.

3) I carry a backbag many times....It really decreases my skill to move , or rotate fast , and even to punch.

If you get it off fast enough you can swing it or throw it as a distraction. Try keeping the straps looser so it's easier to drop it. If you're learning to defend yourself, you need to do it in what situations you'll most likely be in. If that means practicing in certain outfits, so be it.

There's no place like 127.0.0.1

That backpack may offer extra protection for attacks to your back as well. Something to think about.

It is important to practice from time to time in scenarios where you are wearing clothes like you have listed. That way, you will know what you can and cannot do.

Get together with some friends, and do some role-playing with it. See what you learn.

Yes..take a practice with street clothes is a good idea....The problem is that is not posible to do in my mma gym now :P . And most of my mates just dont care ´bout self defense ( even those who are budokan chapmps)

About the backback...is true that it may give me some protection...but I feel like a damn turtle ! I could keep the sraps loose , like lordariel said...not bad idea :P

Kudos to you for realizing that this is very important in defense preparation. Not many think about that. I started asking myself those questions many years ago and I have actually changed several behaviors because of it.

I actually buy clothes based on how well I can move and fight in them. Especially shoes! I only buy dress shoes with rubber soles so I won't slide around in a fight. I don't prefer very thin material for pants even in the summer because they tear too easily. I don't buy or wear jeans that are snug because I would rip them if I kick. That would be very distracting in a fight.

This may not be a popular opinion, but you could always just stop buying clothes that are not "combat ready". Eventually when your old clothes wear out, replace them with looser jeans with at least one or two deep pockets preferably with velcro/buttons for your valuables. But for now, I would agree with the poster who said things falling out of pockets is not really a major concern during a fight. Good luck.

Paranoia is not a fault. It is clarity of the world around us.

I agree in that we can choose our clothes...but when we got to work , or go to certain places we may not.

Yes.....About the stuff falling out of pockets you are right...doesnt really matters if ur life is in danger..It was just one thing more to say...

I agree in that we can choose our clothes...but when we got to work , or go to certain places we may not.

Yes.....About the stuff falling out of pockets you are right...doesnt really matters if ur life is in danger..It was just one thing more to say...

Well, if you have a dress code you have to deal with what you have. Try practicing in clothing similar to what you have to wear and see what works and what doesn't. Then really drill on the stuff that does and don't worry about the stuff that doesn't. I do know they used to make "Chuck Norris Action Jeans" though that had the seams designed so you could kick in them. Don't think they make them anymore, but you could look around.

http://www.denimology.co.uk/2006/09/chuck_norris_action_jeans.php

There's no place like 127.0.0.1

Y are you fighting in a tux??

Phil

Ryu Kyu Christian Karate Federation

"Do not be dependent on others for your improvement. Pay respect to God and Buddha

but do not reley on them." Musashi

´´Y are you fighting in a tux??´´

I preffer to not...but I have to wear a tux to work sometimes....And If I am attacked when wearing a tux...then I got to fight in a tux :P