• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

the journey I've begun...

turbo wrx

I used to be the same way, but beleive me its worth it to stick with it.

the best fight is one that doesnt happen

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Stick with it, one month from now you will see a hugh difference in how you feel.

Echoing the other posts, remember to hammer your basics....correct form and focus. Although it seems tedious and boring, it will really pay off in the long run. Advanced techniques are basic techniques done with power, focus and grace :D

Good luck on this long, wonderfull path you have taken :karate:

A punch should stay like a treasure in the sleeve. It should not be used indiscrimately.

Kyan Chotoku Sensei

Hi. Thanks for the encouragement and advice. :)

I have to say, I appreciate the kindness and courtesy I've found here. I used to post on different types of forums in the past, but some people were immature or downright mean. So I stayed away from internet forums for a while.

I agree that it's important to first get a good grasp of kihon and that learning a martial art requires patience, but I get a bit impatient sometimes. :P I want to learn about pressure point striking and joint manipulation. :D

P.S. Not to sound ignorant, but does Karate have a ground-fighting aspect to it? I thought this would be good in order for one to be a well-rounded fighter. :karate:

"First you must know yourself. Then you can know others."

P.S. Not to sound ignorant, but does Karate have a ground-fighting aspect to it? I thought this would be good in order for one to be a well-rounded fighter. :karate:

I can tell you now that you will get many mixed responses to this question. It is really going to depend on what your instructor knows, and how he applies it. Many Karate practitioners seek out different styles to supplement the groundfighting aspects of the martial arts.

Shotokan, like a lot of other striking arts does indeed have takedowns and some limited ground techniques but usually does not employ extended ground fighting. If a striker takes you down, then on the way to the ground you are usually being hit. Once on the ground more strikes will be thrown but the goal would be to get back on two feet as soon as possible. In short, if the situation presents it'self such that a take down will allow the application of an incapacitating blow then it is usually taken advantage of. Even though a properly executed throw to the ground alone, can be a fight ending technique, (head meets concrete) strikers usually combine it with other techniques and continue to strike while on the ground.

KG

Alot of guys I train with have taken up BJJ to suppliment their stand up fighting skills. I tried it once and man, is that some workout!!!

A punch should stay like a treasure in the sleeve. It should not be used indiscrimately.

Kyan Chotoku Sensei

Hi. This is kind of like a journal entry, so you may laugh or get bored... :lol: :sleep:

I'm glad I made the decision to start Karate. I hope I can stick with it.

After starting, I became even more interested and started reading up on it, such as a brief history of Karate and some terminology. I've been trying to practice on my own and stretch out everyday to become more flexible (hopefully). I get so excited about Karate at work sometimes that I lose my focus on work. :P

I want to be able to defend myself. I want to feel safe and confident. I want to learn more advanced moves, but learning martial arts is a slow process that requires patience. :( Plus, I'm so out of shape and get so sore. I was getting out of breath early in the last class, and deep inside I wondered if I could go on. My legs are so sore right now. But I enjoy Karate. I can't give up yet. If I give up, I get nowhere. I know patience and perseverance can pay off.

When i used to take shotokan, my sensei told me pain was weakness leaving the body. That is so true, cause i guarntee at some point that soreness will stop an your muscles will grow to compensate for the added stress, which means... you're going to get stronger.

I take shorinji kempo an my friend takes kyokushinkai karate, we have a promise to each other, that we will keep at it no matter what an reach our black belt, unless we lose funds, or something life shattering happens, or one of us gets injured, any other excuse an we need to ask a man out to a date... yes.. so you know i wont fail.

Good luck with your training and never give up !

shotokan learned correctly is very effective and rewarding ,it would also improve any other sport that you may follow .

the more time you spend mastering basic techniques and fundementals the more you will benefit later on in your karate career and any other physical activity.

never give up !