• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

The meaning and use of "OSU!" pronounced UUHhhsss!

Many words / expressions that we take as granted as being "Japanese" (because we do Karate); do not actually make a lot of sense to a non karate practicing Japanese person.

Take the word "Shuto" for example; often described as "knife hand", most Japanese people would not understand what you were talking about, because it has been taken out of context.

Can you explain this further? I've been thinking about this term lately and wondering about the origin of it.

I think it's due to the abstract use of the term.

If you asked an English speaking person (who didn't do Karate) "what does knife hand mean", they would probably look at you blankly! Where as in karate circles we know what the term refers to.

Its probably more of a colloquialism than a direct translation.

"The difference between the possible and impossible is one's will"

"saya no uchi de katsu" - Victory in the scabbbard of the sword. (One must obtain victory while the sword is undrawn).

https://www.art-of-budo.com

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Many words / expressions that we take as granted as being "Japanese" (because we do Karate); do not actually make a lot of sense to a non karate practicing Japanese person.

Take the word "Shuto" for example; often described as "knife hand", most Japanese people would not understand what you were talking about, because it has been taken out of context.

Can you explain this further? I've been thinking about this term lately and wondering about the origin of it.

If you asked an English speaking person (who didn't do Karate) "what does knife hand mean", they would probably look at you blankly! Where as in karate circles we know what the term refers to.

So does "shuto" literally translate as "knife hand"?

My instructor uses the term "shoto uke", which I think means "knife block" or "short-sword block". I've also heard the term "te gatana uke" ("hand sword block") for that maneouvre.

So does "shuto" literally translate as "knife hand"?

My instructor uses the term "shoto uke", which I think means "knife block" or "short-sword block". I've also heard the term "te gatana uke" ("hand sword block") for that maneouvre.

I don't think that it translates to 'knife hand' directly, but even so it is different then the term 'osu'. Osu IS used outside of the Dojo in Japan, and as such doesn't qualify as a word that a select group of people 'in the know' use. It's a very gruff greeting used between guys (girls never use it, and unless you knew her well and meant it as a joke, it's be really rude to greet a girl with it), and the word 'hai' is used as a confirmation of instruction or understanding by students responding to a teacher normally.

Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.

~Theodore Roosevelt

According to the Random House Japanese-English/ English-Japanese Dictionary the word Shuto translates to "capital city." I looked up "knife" which is kogatana, and "sword" is Ken or katana.

One of my instructors, who lived and trained as a deshi with the Yagu Ryu for several years, told me that much of the terminology used in our training is old and out of use with the general population. For example, most dojo still count "ichi, ni, san, shi." However, because "shi" also means "death," yon is used. As in "yondan" or fourth level.

"It is impossible to make anything foolproof because fools are so ingenius."

yep, I was wondering if shuto was an older word for knife (seeing as how lot's of japanese say 'naifu' now anyhow rather than kogatana) but I guess not. Also with the numbers thing, many times you hear 'nana' instead of 'Shichi' for 7.

Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.

~Theodore Roosevelt

In November 2006, I asked an Okinawan Grandmaster in Okinawa specifically about people using "OSU." He told me that the use of "Osu" is a misunderstanding by people. He thinks they got it from the words, "Onegai shimaSU," which means, "Show me the way," - shortened to "O-SU," and is considered low-class speech.

More proper to use "Hai" to show understanding of something.

R. McLain

I am now training in a very traditional dojo. I train with shojiro koyama. It's not my place to ask him these types of questions. in fact today, while he was talking about american training vs. japanese, he basically said that americans question too much, while the japanese just respect sensei and do what he says. I am a teacher myself but I am learning karate do from a true japanese master before he passes. i will ask him, but only when it's time. I'll keep ya updated.

place clever martial arts phrase here

in fact today, while he was talking about american training vs. japanese, he basically said that americans question too much, while the japanese just respect sensei and do what he says.

I think that there are a lot of good things that have come out of the exposure to the Oriental culture when studying the Eastern Martial Arts. However, this viewpoint, in my opinion, is not one of them. I think questions are good, even necessary, when it comes studying just about anything. "Because that is the way it is done" or "because that is how I was taught" are not specific enough, or rationalized enough reasons, in my opinion.

Yeh, that's a big cultural difference. When I was in Japan, the family that I stayed with said that they thought that Japanese were smarter, but that Americans were more creative and I think that statement comes from a similar place.

I think we are taught to examine things from more angles, leaving us less time and effort toward wrote memorization. Honestly, I think that you are better off having both types of people around no matter what you are doing- recounting a technique or developing a better somethingorother.

You suck-train harder.......................Don't block with your face

A good traveler has no fixed plans, and is not intent on arriving.

-Lao Tzu

Yeh, that's a big cultural difference. When I was in Japan, the family that I stayed with said that they thought that Japanese were smarter, but that Americans were more creative and I think that statement comes from a similar place.

I think we are taught to examine things from more angles, leaving us less time and effort toward wrote memorization. Honestly, I think that you are better off having both types of people around no matter what you are doing- recounting a technique or developing a better somethingorother.

This could really be a topic all by itself.

The traditional Japanese way of applying themselves to learning a discipline or art form seems to be very much based on "doing, without thought or question".It’s the "purposeless art" thing I suppose. A concept that our culture in the west simply doesn't embrace.

Personally I try to apply this principle to certain activities within the Dojo IE kihon, as I feel that the relaxed and empty state of mind helps foster better ingrained techniques in the long-term.

Sometimes too much thinking and questioning can paralyse your Karate and rather than advancing it, sends it backward.

That said however, I think it is always healthy to experiment a little with what you are learning, otherwise you are not growing as a karate-ka and finding the best way for you.

Each to their own ability!

Definitely gone way off topic now!

"The difference between the possible and impossible is one's will"

"saya no uchi de katsu" - Victory in the scabbbard of the sword. (One must obtain victory while the sword is undrawn).

https://www.art-of-budo.com