• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Roundhouse kick=useless on street?

But doesnt roundhouse kicking someone with your shins hurt withouth protection? You could hurt urself more then the oppenent even when ur shins are trained.

well conditioning goes with it but i think its more of a mental element...just that you need to go through with your actualy kick. any hesitation can cause serious injury to yourself which is why you would just go balls out with it

His Body Says Stop But his Spirit Cries Never

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

well conditioning goes with it but i think its more of a mental element...just that you need to go through with your actualy kick. any hesitation can cause serious injury to yourself which is why you would just go balls out with it

Agreed. Its mostly your state of mind. Just like you can be unprepared, stub your toe and it will hurt like crazy, then when your prepared in training etc you can hit really hard without noticing it at all.

well put. ive seen guys go through brick wals but those same guys hurt themselves from an everyday 2x4 its mind over matter

His Body Says Stop But his Spirit Cries Never

Kicking with the feet gives you slightly more range and in theory, the foot has more momentum (I think?) as it is at the end of the lever that is your leg. However, your foot has a much weaker connection to your body mass as there is a joint between your foot and your shin, making the contact less "solid". Also, your foot is full of breakable little bones, and feet don't like to bend back too far, something knees are fine with.

Try it with a kick shield. Kicking with the foot will give you a nice, satisfying slapping sound as it connects, but kicking with the shin (properly - with the leg bent and with weight shifted on it) will really penetrate the kick shield's padding; your partner will definitely feel it! :)

Battling biomechanical dyslexia since 2007

Kicking with the feet gives you slightly more range and in theory, the foot has more momentum (I think?) as it is at the end of the lever that is your leg.

Yes, this is correct. The foot is traveling faster than the rest of the leg!

However, your foot has a much weaker connection to your body mass as there is a joint between your foot and your shin, making the contact less "solid". Also, your foot is full of breakable little bones, and feet don't like to bend back too far, something knees are fine with.

Try it with a kick shield. Kicking with the foot will give you a nice, satisfying slapping sound as it connects, but kicking with the shin (properly - with the leg bent and with weight shifted on it) will really penetrate the kick shield's padding; your partner will definitely feel it! :)

This is because the shin is one of the most dense bones in the body. It supports the weight and takes all of the shock and impact you put on it. Only your femur (thigh bone) compares in strength and durability. Plus the shape of the shin gives it a nice little ridge to strike with, kinda like having a blade on it. Less little bones, more dense, sharp, not much loss of impact = better to strike with :D IMO

"It is impossible to make anything foolproof because fools are so ingenius."

Kicking with the feet gives you slightly more range and in theory, the foot has more momentum (I think?) as it is at the end of the lever that is your leg.

Yes, this is correct. The foot is traveling faster than the rest of the leg!

However, your foot has a much weaker connection to your body mass as there is a joint between your foot and your shin, making the contact less "solid". Also, your foot is full of breakable little bones, and feet don't like to bend back too far, something knees are fine with.

This is because the shin is one of the most dense bones in the body. It supports the weight and takes all of the shock and impact you put on it. Only your femur (thigh bone) compares in strength and durability. Plus the shape of the shin gives it a nice little ridge to strike with, kinda like having a blade on it. Less little bones, more dense, sharp, not much loss of impact = better to strike with :D IMO

however, keep in mind that in order for you to kick with your shin correctly you must train it first, kinda like your knuckles when you first start training, until they lose the nerves that make hitting them hurt and your bones get denser.Learning to use your shins effectively is not something that happens overnight, it will take some serious training, if you want to kick this way.

you can still kick with your feet, it is all about technique; certain parts of your foot will be more resistant than others, so learn to use those parts and not the ones most likely to break.

<> Be humble, train hard, fight dirty

• 8 months later...
Oh, no, I don't think so. Think about throwing it to the upper thigh (Muay Thai style) or into the knee. I don't think I would thow it head level, but definitely to the leg.

i disagree , many other more accurate and quicker moves can be done in a less time frame and be much more damaging.

I think that there is no 1 style , and that to truly become a great martial artist and person you must take information from where ever you can.

i disagree , many other more accurate and quicker moves can be done in a less time frame and be much more damaging.

It depends what openings are being offered to you at the time, if the person has just flinched and is covering high, then a quick low shot with a number of high follow ups is a sensible option.