• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Tai Sabaki

Hart

Whilst it can be used as a movement away from an attack it should be more accurately used as a simultaneous "take" and "receive" movement (sen-no-sen).

IE. Attacker moves forward to hit you in face, at same time, you also move your body weight into an attack but equally, take your body out of the opponents line of attack.

The combined affect is landing a technique with good timing with your weight behind it (and your opponents).

This is a classic Budo principle of using an opponents force against them

Good reply, and this answers Shorin Ryuu's objection about concentrating on devastating attack instead of tai sabaki. As you pointed out- if you practice this correctly it becomes an agressive / offensive move rather than a defensive move. As usual, it's all in HOW you practice.

There are a couple of drills you can teach. They start as stationary shifts, and then progress to moving. When tai sabaki becomes part of moving offline in stances towards an attacker while slipping the incoming technique, it becomes really fun.

Only thing I'd add is- most people don't take enough time to develop this skill so they fall back on advancing and retreating in a straight line when pressured. My feelings on this is they haven't done it enough to trust it or create an automated response.

I tell my students that tai sabaki IS the block and everything else is insurance.

Other ways to explain tai sabaki:

From Karate Kid part II: Miyagi, "Best defense- no be there."

Umm- get outta da way ;)

or you can use "don't get hit". :)

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I train in Ashihara Karate, we use Sabaki as are basis I can't believe how many style use sabaki

"Challenge is a Dragon with a Gift in its mouth....Tame the Dragon and the Gift is Yours....." Noela Evans (author)

I train in Ashihara Karate, we use Sabaki as are basis I can't believe how many style use sabaki

I am not surprised.

"Tai-Sabaki" as a principle, is inherent in most styles of combative martial arts.

It may be applied to achieve different objectives, but at some stage all fighters will almost certainly use it.

"The difference between the possible and impossible is one's will"

"saya no uchi de katsu" - Victory in the scabbbard of the sword. (One must obtain victory while the sword is undrawn).

https://www.art-of-budo.com

I am not surprised.

"Tai-Sabaki" as a principle, is inherent in most styles of combative martial arts.

It may be applied to achieve different objectives, but at some stage all fighters will almost certainly use it.

This is true. Other styles just call it different things. In Medieval Combat arts, it is called voiding.