Hart

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Define a tai sabaki drill, then I'll know if I do them or not! As I understand it, tai sabaki is evasion techniques - we certainly practice getting out of the way when someone tries to hit us - is there more to it than that?

No, that's basically what I was getting at--evasion techniques. Boxers do it to, except I think they call it "bobbing and weaving".

When sparring, we at time do some side-stepping drills to get our body out of the way of an attack, and at the same time get into position to counter.

I also work on slipping and ducking drills with a friend from time to time.

It was actually one of the first things we did. Tai Sabaki in different stances, including how to switch from one stance to another fluidly as the situation changes. At times with our hands behind our backs.

To preserve the enemies armies is best, to destroy their armies, second best.

I didn't know that karate systems did this kind of training usually- I'm glad to hear it! I've done the equivalent kind of training before in a more or less boxing setting, but it's a good option to use instead of a block if you can.

Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.

~Theodore Roosevelt

In our school we don't refer to it as Tai Sabaki, usually its "learning to get our big bums out the way". One of the drills we do is have one person attack and another only moving/blocking but in a 5m by 5m square.

"Everything has its beauty, but not everyone sees it." ~ Confucius

I didn't know that karate systems did this kind of training usually- I'm glad to hear it! I've done the equivalent kind of training before in a more or less boxing setting, but it's a good option to use instead of a block if you can.

Yup. It's an essential part of most karate systems. We like to throw the strong linear punches and blocks, but we're not stupid. We know that getting out of the way is far more effective than taking a hit.

"It is impossible to make anything foolproof because fools are so ingenius."

Tai sabaki isn't a bad idea. However, I think sometimes people focus their training more on getting out of the way than on destroying their opponent. Tai sabaki should be more of an integration with technique rather than a separate thing to do in an X or Y situation. This certainly isn't the case for everyone, but an overemphasis on tai sabaki can promote a reactionary mindset rather than the dominating mindset necessary for a fight.

Martial Arts Blog:http://bujutsublogger.blogspot.com/

yes we have alot of tai sabaki work, or body change as we call it.

generally it is to avoid being hit AND placing us in a posative position to hit or whatever (often same time) whilst reducing the attackers options for their 2nd attack.

The main tai sabaki drill my students work is with metal practice knifes, simply avoid multiple attacks and dont get hit by the knife, done in a flow it is very effective training to get moving.

think footwork, however subtle.

Yours in karate

Jim Neeter

https://www.shoshinkanuk.org