• advertisement_alt

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In a street fight I would not suggest grappling as a good self defence alone. In a street fight attack you might get attacked with a knife in which case you would block that strike and hold on to the attackers arm so you can disarm the knife from him. But don't think thats it. The attacker isn't going to give up, you have to hurt him so he wont be able to attack you furthur, by kicking and punching, grapling is only a temporary means of defending your self. Think about it. You get him into some kind of hold what are you going to do next. Hold on to him until he promises taht he wont attack you. I don't think so. Grappling is essential in self defence as you can use it to disarm the attcker, but you also need the power of strikes and kicks to injure the attacker to a certain extent.

hope this helps

I think cross-training is by far the best. I take TKD and BJJ and it's great. Grappling is good in self defense because many of the moves (like the rear naked choke) take care of an opponent without permanently damaging them. Also, most BJJ schools teach standing techniques - throws, headlock escapes, fingerlocks if someone pushes you against a wall, bear hug defense, etc. Though I would want to rely on striking in a fight, many fightds end up on the ground after a person is pushed or thrown by their opponent or somebody slips. That's where I would use my grappling knowledge to escape a potentially fatal position :wink:

1st dan Tae Kwon Do

Yellow Belt Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

16 Years Old

Girls kick butt!

I agree with the post above grappeling on the streets not a good idea. Too many things can go wrong. Such as his friends, wrestling on black top is not the same as padded floors, weapons, etc.

Grappeling in a controled fight is great and one one one is hard to beat if you have not trained in it. However for the streets you better learn to stand and move.

(General George S. Patton Jr.) "It's the unconquerable soul of man, and not the nature of the weapon he uses, that ensures victory."

The UFC has caused a lot of hype since the Gracie brothers have dominated the UFC with BJJ.. Since then, a lot of other fighters have learnt BJJ, beacause it offers a clearly advantageous position against an opponent who doesn't know how to grapple, taking only a matter of seconds to choke someone out, or break their arm. Good thing with BJJ is, you have the choice how much damage you want to cause to your opponent. You could easily break their fingers one by one, then proceed to break their arm if you wish.. BJJ is based around the whole principle of using strong body part(s) against an opponent's weaker body part.. I've said this before and I'll say it again, the arm bar is a classic example, in an armbar, you have your opponent's arm inbetween your two legs while you're flat on your back, you also have your hands on his wrist, you also have your hips for leverage. Resistance is futile, even for the strongest man. All the other techniques are based on this principle, so it does not advocate strength, but technique. It was made by a small man who tested and refined his techniques against hundreds of opponents of all sizes, so JJ works, even for the smallest man

JJ students also do a LOT of sparring, probably more than any other MA, so they're used to resisting opponents

It takes sacrifice to be the best.

There are always two choices, two paths to take. One is easy. And its only reward is that it's easy.

Depends where you're fighting, if you get into a one on one fight in a crowded pub or club and take someone down to the ground then you're going to make more enemies than friends as you wrestle around, spilling drinks and knocking people over.

---------

Pil Sung

Jimmy B

:karate: Grappling is great for maybe one on one school ground brawls, but I doubt its effectiveness on the street. Some aspects would probably work, like choking your opponent. i take Wado-Ryu Karate but I consider myself a free-stylist due tot he fact that I don't limit myself. I learn and integrate a wide variety of techniques from different styles, creating a personalized fighting style made for me. Kinda like a custom t-shirt, the material comes from elsewhere but you decide what goes on it and where. I think that's what Bruce Lee wanted as far a JKD principles go. But anyways, I'm primarily a striker, although grappling is good and definatley fun to practice. I'd have to say, if the fight went to the ground, I'd proabbly use my grappling skills to get on top of my opopnent and ground and pound him. But if he has friends, you could always use it to either extricate yourself from your oppoent and get up, or use it to hold the guys hostage ya know? Kinda like a "You take oen step closer and I'll break you friend's arm" :evil:

"Live free.

Die well..."

• 3 months later...

i'm agree with ckdstudent

i think grappling is so good, because you use it in almost any fight you have, almost 90% of fights end in the ground, and there, almost anybody knows what to do, and if you know grappling, you can dominate your opponent in seconds.

Valencia - Venezuela.

One other minor advantage to grappling... who do you think the police are going to be easier on... the guy who pounded the guano out of his attacker or the guy who restrained his attacker until things defused?

1st Dan Hapkido

Colored belts in Kempo and Jujitsu

Grappling doesn't always take place on the ground.

You can choke, break an arm, or dislocate a shoulder, break fingers, etc.. on your standing position.

That kind of grappling IS effective for street fighting.

Grappling works because they do a lot of resisting oponent sparring , they work against diferent body types, and the way they train is exactly the same way the fight.

Not punching and kicking to the air, three step sparring or Kata.